Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Things to buy for a new planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Things to buy for a new planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys,
    I have a friend who is interested in starting up a new Planted tank... it's a 4ft x 2ft by 2ft... he asked me what does he need to get?
    told him lights, co2 blah blah... but the thing is i'm not sure what sand/gravel/soil to recommend him...
    should i introduce base fert with gravel or just some soil without fert eg, ada or danerile? not too sure about pricing too...
    some advise would be good! thanks!

Cheers
    Last edited by Justikanz; 15th Jun 2006 at 12:49.

You should tell your friend to consider what plants he wants to keep before deciding. For example, if all he wants to get is Java Ferns, Anubias etc, then no need for any base ferts at all. If he is aiming for plants (Crypts, Echinodorus etc) that require a richer base fert, then more consideration can be made.

In the end, it all boils down to plant choice and how adventurous he is!
    Aquaspot World LLP - Your Aquatic Partner
    http://www.aquaspotworld.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ask your friend to visit NA at thomson, I'm sure Mr Chan have what your friend need

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, it's better to advise him to read up alittle bit, look at other's galleries, and discuss around. 4ft tanks are a massive project itself, of course he would want to have a beautiful setup. But if things like algae, fish disease become awry, he will lose confidence, might regret and tear down. It would be a quick and sad end then. There is no point rushing into a hobby, it should be relaxing and fun.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if he got some spare cash, invest in MH/FL set where by timing:intensity can be managed, base fertilizer, ADA soil for easy plant growth, pressurized co2 with external reactor. And please, use 1 or 2 good canister filter.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hop by NA, he able to get the things there!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This belongs to Beginners... I better move... Else I will start editing things Arrgh!! Cannot resist!...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ask him to come over here and read the stickies at the Beginner's forum.

For a tank that size... I'd go Lapis sand with Ferka or JBL base fert for the substrate, one MH with PL lights for lighting, CO2 with Tom Barr's internal reactor, rainbar at bottom of the tank for good circulation.

Frankly it all depends on what kind of setup he wants. If he wants a full-blown "serious" planted tank then go for the above or more. If he prefers fish with just a dotting of plants here and there, PL lights, non-CO2, pure Lapis substrate with driftwood and Java fern can hardly fail.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that's great guys... thanks so much!
    cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tank: Now that your friend has already settled on the size (4x2x2), he will need to decide on the thickness (9/10/12mm?), bracing (euro or front+back with center and choice of laminate/handles/etc for the cabinet.

Lighting: MH (2x 150W) will be good since the tank is 2ft tall.

Filter: A canister filter (check with others).

Cooling: Some swear by their chillers (check with others) but most others, myself included, get by with just fans.

Substrate: I prefer Dennerle crystal quartz gravel for aesthetic reasons. Any base fertilizer will do.

CO2: Pressurised CO2 system, solenoid and ADA beetle .

Plants: Farms and LFSs.

Fish/Shrimps: Farms and LFSs. *Try not to overdo it during the first 1-2 weeks.

Fertilizers: NPK and Trace. Choice of brand(s) is subjective.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    most importantly it's to check with him on his prefered budget. Then it'll be easier to work around it.