Country
    England

Converting.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys/girls.
    Well, after putting it off for a LONG time, i decided i am going to convert my 34"x14"x14" (110 litre) tank into a SW setup.
    Originally i was going to convert my 2ft tank, and just have a dwarf lionfish in, but i want more, smaller fish.
    I will be selling the tropical fish in the tank at the moment, so will have money from those, and also its my birthday in 2 weeks, so will have money then! Hoorah!
    Ok, i know i will need the following:

Hydrometer
    Marine Light
    Powerhead
    10-12lbs Live Rock
    2-3 inches Live Sand

Ok, i am happy to do as many water changes as needed, so i know a Protein Skimmer isnt needed...is it?
    Is there any other essentail i've missed?
    Also, how should i go about stocking it? issit just like Freshwater really?
    There are some fish i really like...

Yellow Tailed Damsel Fish
    Fire Fish
    Hermit Crabs

Issit possible for those to live together? i know the damsels need to be in a group of at least 3...
    Also, could i add any more fish? i know the ones i listed stay small...and as i said, i will be willing to do as many water changes as needed.
    Thanks for all your help,
    really looking forward to it!
    Mez[]
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    James,

apart from those stuff u had mentioned above.. may i know y u need the powerhead for?? to recreate current?? in that case, i suggest u getting a timer for it as well.. btw, what filter are u using?? sump or canister?? Do go for a protein skimmer.. anyway.. a cheap one will do.. dun really have to spend a bomb on it.. me using ORCA.. which is one of the cheapest ard in the Singapore market next to DIY one and it work just fine.... hahaha.. water changes is impt but do go for a skimmer.. wun go wrong one.. they can remove proteins that are not able to be filtered off by the filter.. so, do ponder over this for a while..

as for stocking.. pls take note of the cycling period..a couple of forumers had their systems crashed..
    setup 1
    changing water
    setting up marine tank
    additives
    setup2
    ([:0]goodness.. i must have typed this lots of times..hahaha
    [])

yellow tail damsel is fine.. but mind u.. when it mature.. it will get territorial..and they dun have to go in 3s.. as for fire fish.. u can go for a school of them like abt 5-8.. but i dun recommend hermit crabs.. yes.. they are interesting.. but once they outgrow their shell, how u gonna provide them with?? tin cans?? furthermore, they gonna eat your firefish alive at night when the latter lodged itself into a 'cave' and refuse to budge!!.. and they will be eaten alive.. not worth the effort lah..

what kind of fishes are u looking at?? u must remember your bio-capacity of the tank and filter...[:]

if u looking for bright colors.. i can recommend going for dwarf angels.. they are beautiful.. and unless your tank is big enuff.. i dun recommend keeping more than 2 inside..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Hi Kelvin.
    I rang my lfs - they can sell me a cheap Protein skimmer, so looks like im getting one of those.
    Powerhead - to simulate current. Dont i need one?
    As for filtration, cannot afford cannister..me too poor![]
    Ok, no hermit crab. definatly no tin can in tank!
    Lets forget the fire fish too.
    Can suggest any fish for me that will go with 1 (or 3?) yellow tailed damsel fish? must be on the cheaper side, unlike Flame Angels that are £60 EACH..
    Cycling, i will use a dead shrimp or a pair of Mollys..
    Thanks,
    Mez

Feedback Score
    Do update this thread as I am also considering to convert. I am now in the midst of reading up a book recommended by Kelvin and at least I know the equipments needed. I must say it's very much more than the planted tanks.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    james,
    I rang my lfs - they can sell me a cheap Protein skimmer, so looks like im getting one of those.
    good choice
    Powerhead - to simulate current. Dont i need one?
    if u have filtration.. it will provide the current.. however, powerhead is ideal to simulate countercurrent..
    As for filtration, cannot afford cannister..me too poor!
    then what u gonna use??
    Ok, no hermit crab. definatly no tin can in tank!
    hahaha.. it will look funny.. remind me of the hermit crab in sherman's lagoon comic... hahaha
    Lets forget the fire fish too.
    y?? they are beautiful.. but they are jumpers and will do that if they are stressed..if not, u see them facing the current all the time.. i kept abt 3 of them before i release them over to spiff..
    Can suggest any fish for me that will go with 1 (or 3?) yellow tailed damsel fish? must be on the cheaper side, unlike Flame Angels that are £60 EACH..
    goodness.. flame angel cost 60 pounds?? we can get it like S$40-60, depending on the place.. i really dun know what fishes are considered cheap in England.. generally, we can get relatively cheap fishes can corals here, james.. perhaps u see what u like.. and tell us??
    Cycling, i will use a dead shrimp or a pair of Mollys..
    go for a molly..

chee yong,
    what equipment are u talking abt?? and welcome to the dark side.. hehe []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Kelvin,
    I will be using 2 large internal filters, a pair of FLuval 3's. I do not need a powerhead as these also provide current.
    I said forget the firefish because i thought they would be scared by the damsels, would they?
    i also like Geen Chromis, they are cheap. would they be ok?
    Thanks,
    James

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    james,
    I will be using 2 large internal filters, a pair of FLuval 3's. I do not need a powerhead as these also provide current.
    2 large internal filters?u will not be requiring a powerhead in that case but u will be taking up valuable space.. guess that can't be help when budget is constraint.. do put them at different corners to give the countercurrent effect.. btw, how big is your tank anyway..

I said forget the firefish because i thought they would be scared by the damsels, would they?
    i also like Geen Chromis, they are cheap. would they be ok?
    [b]IMO, i rather u go for green chromis..coz they are the tamest fish ard in the damsels family.. the rest of them, like 3-stripe, sergeant major, domino, blue and yellow bellied or tail damsels can get very territorial once with they are establised or matured.. and u can keep green chromis with firefish.. green chromis, go for a small group like 3.. while firefish go for 3-5 if possible.. me love to see them flashing their antennas.. hahaha[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Hi Kelvin
    Yah, budgit restraint..
    Filters will be at opposite end of tank.
    Tank is 34"x14"x14" - 110 litres.
    Man i REALLY want the yellow tailed dameslfish, i REALLY want them! Is that a definate "NO"? Coz i do REALLY like them.
    Thanks,
    James

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, budgit restraint..
    Filters will be at opposite end of tank.
    Tank is 34"x14"x14" - 110 litres.
    Man i REALLY want the yellow tailed dameslfish, i REALLY want them! Is that a definate "NO"? Coz i do REALLY like them.
    ----------------
    well.. james, budget is indeed a bit issue here..
    [] but u still can make do with it.. and if u really like the yellow tailed damselfish, do go with your feelings.. coz sometimes, the fishes have individual characteristics.. and perhaps the one u get, might not bully others?? haha.. if u really like it.. get it last.. get the rest of the fishes first.. coz once the damsel is settle down, new inhabitants will be chased ard by them.. [] all the best to your new tank.. and do post the pic when u are done.[] and welcome to the dark side..