Thread: Egg crates for false bottom

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello i am very new to this forum so i dont know if anyone is still reading this topic or if there is a better place for this question (sorry in advance)

i was wondering if i am using egg crate loover to make a false bottom tank do i also need to use the little red balls that i purchased on top of the egg crate loover (covered in screen) or is the loover with substrate enough?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Mike, start a new thread when in doubt.

Why would you use an egg crate for the bottom? To obtain a ground out of the water?

The pellets will provide a quick way for excess water to drain away...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    you need the pellets to hold up your substrate.. otherwise it'll all go thru the crate over time. IF you use the pellets.. try to keep them out of water... they are for draining purposes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    you dont need those pellets at all.. they are just used as a drain layer. just get some window screen and put it over the crate and scilicone it in place then add you substrate.. and if you were to use pellets and no eggcrate use the screen over top of the pellets. its the only thing that will prevent substrate from falling into the bottom of your tank.. any more questions just ask away

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Yes, don't need those pellets at all. Like what petah said, just use fly screen on top of crate. Don't need those pellets to increase the weight of your substrate unnecessarily too. Save them for your hydroponics (if you have one!)

You're lucky you can find egg crates over there. I'm still trying to find some here. Cheaper and easier to cut than drain covers that I'm presently using. I somehow find false bottoms a rarity among hobbyist here. I like it because I can flush out the bottom really well. Keeps my nepenthes happy.
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    oh.. lol.. didnt notice that you were using screen as well..

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    GREAT! thanks alot for the info! this really helped me. haha i was stuck there not knowing what to do next. now i can get back to work!!! i may have some more questions as my terrarium progresses, so its great to know you are all a heplfull bunch.

thanks again, im sure i will be back many times, as i build my living vivaria for dart frogs!

here is a picture of what i want it to look like eventualy. something like this anyways but i have a pretty big tank so i am going to build a waterfall with a tiny little sream and a tiny little pond as well!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    That's a beautiful pic. I noticed the back piece, it looks like pieces of coconut husk chunks glued together. Very neat. I have a lot lying around from hardware store. Wonder if anyone knows how to attach it like that.
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    don't forget to post a picture or the progress to the finish work!
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very very nice! the wood piece certainly adds character to your setup. how you actually create the foreground?
    (my mistake, sorry!)
    Last edited by richietay; 2nd Jul 2006 at 13:49.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    just so you guys know.. that is not his setup.. read his post.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Yup, point taken.
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    yep. haha actually i am trying really hard to find a peice of wood that looks like this one so i am kinda stalled. thats ok though i'm not gonna do anything but exactly what i want, so i'm sure i'll find the perfect piece eventually. my tank is a bit bigger like i said so my dudes can have more room to hop around. with a short little slate waterfall and stream. i have all of my pipes and false bottom set up so far, so next i gotta pick out some good rocks, pebbles, and small little slate pieces to build the waterfall. i am a tile setter so building the waterfall will be the one thing i should have no problem with. i will deffinently post pics once it actually starts looking more like a actual terrarium.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Why wait?? post pics now!! i'm excited to see the process from start to finish.. i love these projects..