Images
    Country
    Singapore

Stolen: iBook 12"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I lost my iBook (12") yesterday. My car was broken into and the bag containing the laptop stolen at the Multi-Storey carpark directly opposite of Parkway Parade yesterday. I have lodged a police report and they have taken down the S/N of the laptop in hope to locate the thief.

Sad fact is that the car was broken into in broad day light! At around 3-4 PM as that was the time that the car was parked and also parked only on the 2nd floor with other cars around. Those who have been there will know that, that carpark is not a quiet desolate carpark but is actually busy.

I would like all to help keep a look out for the laptop as it contains a lot of important work-related data.
    S/N: S4H5241RSRCQ

... 1 bad thing after another is happening to me.... must bathe in flower water already...

Please PM me or SMS me at 98770474 should anyone happen to help see this stolen laptop.
    *Mod, able to sticky this post for a week or two?
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to hear that It's not new, lots of laptops were stolen this way and in broad daylight. Never leave anything in the back seats or front seat no matter how short you'll be away from the car.
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, its an expensive lesson learnt from that...

iBook - $1,700+
    Damanged Window - $150+
    Lesson learnt - "Priceless"...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Stickified!
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Vincent,

Much thanks for the sticky!

Regards,
    Aaron.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aaron: Sorry to hear about it. Thanks for sharing -- I thought Singapore is safe.

If we have no choice but to leave our expensive stuff in the car, better put it in the boot where it is out of sight and does not attract attention. Or hide it under other things like newspapers, magazines or pillows.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Aaron : sorry to hear about it.. expensive lesson learnt indeed..

i've also things stolen from car before and also in broad daylight.. smashed the window and take.. just that mine was jsut a bag with useless things in it. You never know how desperate people are.. even a useless bag on the seat of a car tehy will take their chances and smash your window.. take bag.. then run away. I NEVER EVER leave ANYTHING that will attract attention again after that lesson.. even if its just a stupid old looking bag.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    On a side, aquarium related note, Can you have bulletproof glass for car windows and fish tanks?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not only ordinary bags but cashcard can be stolen too! As for bulletproof glass for tanks, it would be more heavier as there be extra glass pane being added. For car windows however, it would be insufficient as you would need to modify the car door to accept the thicker glass. Also, without modifying the door itself, shrapnel may go through the door frame.

Don't be mistaken about bulletproof glass. It is not a life saving apparatus but rather it gives some precious time (seconds) for the owner to escape being fired upon. If a bulletproof car cannot makes an escape, everyone in it would not survive. High caliber rounds or even some handgun WILL pierce the bulletproof glass if it was shot at a concentrated point with time being the limiting factor. Even if you have a metal pipe and concentrate hitting at 1 point and with time on your side, you will penetrate the bulletproof glass.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Koah Fong, as did I, I too thought that Singapore was a safe place, guess that's not 100% true. As for the camoflauge of the bag that was in the rear seat, it was indeed done so, placed at the bottom and covered by a pillow...

Hey Justin, yeah, right now, I'm damn afraid to leave ANYTHING in the car at all! if I can dismantle the steering wheel to bring it back home, I would for sure as well... really expensive lesson.

I guess that the thief must've been a really desperate person. Good thing is that I managed to get my window repaired yesterday So right now, nothing's in my car except for a pillow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it REALLY did happen in that carpark opp. PP... yucks... there are 1001 cars at all times of the day... so difficult to even get a parking lot... how did the thief smash your window in that condition?... *unbelievable* *shock*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup it happened there, as like you I was more in shock than anything else when I saw that hole in my window and glass on the floor....

As you know, that carpark is busy all the time and what shocks me more is that it happened at 3-4PM in the afternoon and that the car was parked on the 2nd floor of the MSCP!

You can imagine the #($* & XYZ words that came out of my mouth when I saw the window. I did give some XYZ words to 1 passerby who carried her kid to show her kid the hole in the window and told her kid "Wah, you see the hole in the window?" that was when my XYZ words came out...

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to hear of your loss, Fox.

I had a lesson taught to me in the similar way 3 years ago too. I had my hubcaps and headlamp lens of the car stolen. As the parts are rare, I can only guess the thief was another Capri XR2i owner or some workshop tasked with restoring one of these cars who can't find the parts locally (I park at Sin Ming Industrial estate where all the car workshops are).

2 months later, my girlfriend decided to leave a paper bag of Chinese comic books and VCDs of the then popular video serial "Meteor Garden" on the back seat.

Since the rear visor is all scratched and blurred, I thought it would not attract unwanted attention. Also, the contents are clearly of no value to the average male, and not valuable on the market anyway, so I agreed to leave things in the car for the first time.

Next morning, I found my cabrio roof slit, the cashcard gone, my fuel card and rewards card missing, sunglasses, sweets, cigarettes, and the bag of comics missing.

The thieves left my music CDs and parking coupons though.

Go figure. Who would break in for candy, cigarettes, Meteor Garden comics... even the yellow cloth I use to wipe the steering wheel, and leave behind parking coupons, beatles, deep purple and billy joel CDs?

The car is parked beside the main road, 1 block from the police post. There were police on bicycle patrol and after my report 2 months earlier, these patrols were intensified.

Lesson I learnt was Never to be lulled into a false sense of security. Also regardless of how insignificant the value you deem your item to be, never tempt others with it. Keep it away from sight as it is not worth it to have a windscreen smashed for a cheap CD.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, hiding things is an art too. A pillow stuffed between the front seat and back seat = I'm hiding something, probably valuable. Boot is still the best... out of sight, out of mind. If I hide something in the seat area, I make it look casual. Even then, after this story, I'll be extra careful.

My own experience was in Melbourne. After classes, we parked my gf's small Mazda 121 in a side street. It is a dark street, but many people park there, and nobody thinks twice about walking along the street (i.e. no fear of crime in that street). There is even a guarded paid carpark right next to it. We watched a late movie and by the time we came out, it was already really cold and dark, so I left my gf at the cinema and walked to the car alone. Got to the car, got in and then realised I can hear the building's aircon compressors very clearly, as if the back window was open? Turned and found glass the back window smashed. The stupid thing is, this car had a car alarm which had a tendency of going off for no reason, so we had turned it off thinking that the street was public enough. We also made sure we hid our bags in the boot and left the seat areas clear.

What did the guys get? A few dollars worth of change from the ashtray, and our school bags and files. A few weeks later, my gf's bag and work was found abandoned at the library next to the street, along with some of my stuff. My beloved haversack was never found. That bag is unique in Australia and has a blue ink stain on the outside and for a long time I kept an eye out for anyone carrying that bag.

Lawrence, I've always thought Cabrio's were not quiet secure.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You mean the car alarm is no use at all?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Shame to hear that Aaron. I would not think that these incidents happen in Singapore too. Best to be more careful from now on, especially when I don't even have a boot to keep things out of sight.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr
    You mean the car alarm is no use at all?
    When you hear someone's car alarm go off around your carpark, would you bother to even step out to look? I wouldn't... unless it goes off for a good 5 minutes then only would I bother to take a peek.

My car's alarm went off but NOBODY bothered to even do anything! I have no idea how long it was going off as when I came back to the car, I had to disarm the alarm, I did see passerbys just standing and looking, you know "eye -power?" No police in sight at all, I had to dial 999 to activate them.

So the car alarm is of no use if the people are of no use. However, If the car alarm had some electrical field that would zap thieves who break into the car, then yes that would be of good use.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox
    However, If the car alarm had some electrical field that would zap thieves who break into the car, then yes that would be of good use.
    Wishful thinking, but it would be fun!! Seeing theives drop like flies. But then again, they would wear rubber gloves right?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Wishful thinking, but it would be fun!! Seeing theives drop like flies. But then again, they would wear rubber gloves right?

Cheers,
    :P definitely fun or some ball-grabbing device that would crush. Still its only wishful thinking.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But that's quite dangerous as it does not recognise between ordinary folks who happen to brush by your car or a thief. Don't believe that by parking near a police post that your vehicle might be safe. A friend of mine had his front brake stolen from his motorcycle, a Super 4 bike. He parked it near such area too. He had the same thinking too but on the contrary, nobody is watching.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast