Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: A external cannister filter still need aeration?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A external cannister filter still need aeration?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, i am using a 2213 cannister for my 3 ft tank. wondering if i still need to provide aeration through a oxygen pump? i have fauna and florals in my tank. Anyone can help? thanks alot... :P

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Depends on your bioload and plant mass... Low bioload, not necessary.. High, will preferably have...

In addition, depends on how you position your rainbar... And also whether you are pumping CO2 into the water... If you are worried that at night the tank might be low on air due to plants using O2 as well, you can use a pump to aerate the water... Also if you have no CO2, and you position the rain bar such that there is alot of surface movement, addition aeration probably not necessary...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From my limited experience, extra aeration could be replaced. As written in lots of places, the air dissolved into the water is minimal from the direct aeration itself, rather it is the busting bubbles that break the surface tension that allows for a better gas dissolving effect. Used to use a air pump but the busting bubbles caused water to be splashed onto my lamp and cused a short circuit. Then I switched to using a fan, which ripple effect is enough to created an gas exchange. Think a rainbar can also do the job. Now with a chiller, injected CO2 and a heavily planted tank. Find that the dissolved oxygen from the plants is enough to last thru the night without any problem detected.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    alright, thanks alot. i'll try it without providing aeration first. will update the outcome. thanks bros..