pls comment on my tank spec ...etc

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    calling all experts

I have the following:

Spec :
    1] 40cm x 30cm x 45cm (17.5Gal)(2 watt per gal)
    2] 2 X 18watt PL (10-11hrs illum)
    3] Internal filtartion - powerhead
    4] 30 - 32 deg cel (30 is when taken in the morning b4 ON light)(32 is when taken in the evening b4 OFF light)
    5] No Ph etc..... reading yet
    6] DIY CO2
    7] lonestar gravel
    8] closed cover top cos light is modified in that cover.

Questions :
    1] Is my tank temp too high for a planted enviroment? Cos i c tt most plant required a temp of bt 28 Deg cel or less.
    (I wld like to maintain at 28-30 deg cel - How much can a fan help in tis? - OR If i put a timer to shorten illum time to 8 hrs)

2] Currently, i still have brownish algea on the A.sword & my powerhead. Also some green algea on my driftwood(the tip which is very close to the light source just abt 2-3 inches below water surface)
    what fish to combat those 2 type of algeas. COs i don't think any shrimps can survive at tis temp. in my tank

3] I also have some D.sagittaria fr "juggle", do they need any root enhancement or any liquid fert. (currently have some fert from JBL(the 7 ball).

4] Is riccia suitable in my tank beside the lighting problem(2 watt per gal) which is a bit low.?

thks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi jj

tank temp is alittle on the high side and an AC fan that is selling at LFS would be a big help to bring the temp to a respectable 28C

for the algae thingy you have, good if you can get about 6 ottos, 1 SAE, and about 10 yamatoes. the brownish algae is quite common near the water surface as the light intensity is the strongest........

since you have not mentioned anything about base fert, i am going to assume that there is non.......besides the JBL fert ball you can also consider the ones from Bioplast selling at System and Control or Root Monster from Ocean Free selling at pet mart, clementi..........for your bigger plants you may want to consider placing 2 to 3 about 1.5 to 2 inch from the crown of the plant. As for you forground plant insert 1 ball every 2in radius.

riccia may not be a good idea at this point in time.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Riccia may survive in your tank but the effects of pearling won't be achieved.

David,
    Glad to see you back
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if you don't have base fert, would suggest you tear it down and redo.

it wouldn't be THAT much of a hassle to do,
    empty tank water (should be reused.)
    just take out existing gravel in a pail.
    put in basefert about 4in.

cover with gravel about 2in.

should be enough, then slowly pour water back in without disturbing the gravel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm... riccia as a foregrd may not work. But if its on a piece of driftwood/rock and closer to and directly under the light source, it could work. Maybe as high as half way up the tank height.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the base fert can be thinner in front... maybe 1 inch and then slope to the back of the tank. Gravel, I use 1 inch layer on top of the base fert.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    justjoin:

The enclosed tank cover makes it hard to dissipate the heat. Mine was like that too. But now I bought some lighting sets with stand and sits above the tank. More ventilation now and tank water is much cooler.

The Sagittaria grows without much care. Very fast growing.

If you like Riccia and lighting is not sufficient, can try growing them nearer the surface. Eg. by tying it to a driftwood.

Cheers!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    justjoin

I go with juggler on your temperature problem. I had the same experience... the cover does affect tank temp. Removing the cover and using 2-3 overhead lamps instead would help to cool the tank by 1-2 degrees.

Good luck
    Mike

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think as long as u can find a solution to extract air from the enclosed tank, it shldnt be too bad.. sherwin's 1m tank is enclosed but he did some modification so there is holes at the side for ventilation purposes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    hi guys

thks for yr advise. think will get a fan & c how.

BTY, i try tiring riccia to driftwood which is abt at 0.5 tank height-ranging from abt 1 inch to 8 inches below water surface & light soucre.
    planted on fridat afternoon at on saturday afternoon i can c tt it's pearling. really fascinating.

i had taken c pix but dunno how to post.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    testing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    justjoin, check yr URL... u cant post a pic from yahoo.. jus provide the link to it (remember to share the folder so everyone can access)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thks simon

here is the link

[HREF]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tohadrian/lst?.dir=/Planted+tank&.view=t[/HREF]

BTY, another question here,
    My tank is running with an internal filter with powerhead of 500L per hour. Is the current too strong for my small tank? if yes, wat do yr suggest beside changing to a smaller capacity.If to change, wat is ideal?
    If to modify, wat to do?will attach to rainbar helps?

thks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    if riccia cannot be used to create a back WALL effect in my tank, than can i use java moss or xmas moss instead?

Currently, my riccia is pearling.can i said tt it's growing in my tank of 30-32 deg cel?

also i musing a powerhead(internal filter) of 500l per hour, is the current too strong? if yes, can rainbar helps in tis aspect to reduce strong water flow?

thks