Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: CO2 diffusing correctly through flipper?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

CO2 diffusing correctly through flipper?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tank Dimensions (LxWxH, specify units): 60cm x 40cm x 45cm

Lighting Intensity(No of Watts) : 4 x 24w
    Number and type of Lighting (FL/PL/MH) :T5HO
    Age of light bulbs : 5 days
    No. of hours your lights are on : 6 hours

CO2 Injection Rate (bps) : ???
    Type of CO2 (DIY/Cylinder) : cylinder
    Method of Injection (e.g. Diffusor/Reactor) : diffusor

Liquid fertilisers Used (Product name. E.g. Seachem Flourish) :JAQNO Floracion
    Fertilization regime (Frequency and amount per dose) :3x weekly
    1/8 tsp KNO3
    1/32 tsp KH2PO4
    1/32 tsp K2SO4
    Trace elements from JAQNO Floracion

Other fertilisers (Product name. E.g. Root Monster) : ECA, Dennerle Gold 7

Other additives (Product name. E.g. Seachem Prime) :

Type of Filter (overhead/internal/canister, Product name/model if possible) : Eheim 2222
    When was the filter last washed :brand new
    Filter media used : supplied
    When was the media last changed : brand new
    What was changed : n/a

Age of setup (i.e. since initial setup or last major re-do ) : 5 days

Water change frequency : twice weekly
    Amount changed : 30%

Water surface movement (None/gentle/turbulent) : gentle
    Circulation (None/gentle/turbulent) :gentle

Tank Temperature :28 degrees

Chemical Properties (Fill what you can)
    -------------------------------------
    KH (dKH): 1
    GH (dGH):
    pH : 5.3
    NH4 (ppm):
    NO2 (ppm):
    NO3 (ppm):
    PO4 (ppm):
    Fe (ppm):

Bioload (Number and type of fish and plants)
    ------------------------------------------
    Glosso
    Riccia
    Ludwigia Arcuata
    MM
    Mayaca
    Anubias var. nana
    Rotala sp.

Describe your problem :
    ----------------------

Today is my fifth day in cycling. I am not sure if my CO2 is diffusing properly. I'm using the Ocean Free flipper and bubbles are going through the flipper. However, when bubbles reache the cap of the flipper, the bubbles will periodically make a big pop. Is this normal?

My KH remains at about 1dKH using Sera test kit. I have a bubble checker that is not turning color from yellow to blue, which is supposed to indicate that I have sufficient CO2 in the water. I have already increased the CO2 injection this morning but when I came back from work to check the KH and the bubble checker, there is no change in status. But I can see that there are strings of small bubbles rising up from the nana and some of the other plants, compared to the previous days.

My main concern that I don't know if my CO2 is correctly diffusing is because I can now see the MM melting and not in good shape. All the other plants are still doing ok. Can someone help me determine this? Should I get a ceramic diffusor instead?

Also, I entered the KH and PH details in the AQ CO2 Calculator and got the
    CO2 results as 150.4 ppm. Isn't this on the extremely high side?
    Last edited by Hanako; 6th Jul 2006 at 09:57.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't rely on the CO2 colour checker.. rely on your plants. If they bubble well, enough CO2 is there.

The MM might be converting from emersed to submersed form. Imho you should get a ceramic diffusor... much better.

What's your substrate like? ADA Aquasoil? If so, you cannot use the kH/pH table to get your CO2 because Aquasoil lowers down your kH and pH thus you aren't getting values.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I wasn't aware that MM might be converting from emersed to submersed form. I don't even see any roots forming . Ok, so I will observe the plants and get a ceramic diffusor. Is there a reliable brand or do I just get the $5 types sold at LFS?

I am using ADA Aquasoil Amazonia and PowerSand as substrate. If I cannot use the KH/PH table, then how can I calculate how much CO2 I am injecting? And how can I tell if I am injecting too much CO2?. I saw in the forum that most members are able to determine the CO2 injection rate.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I use the brand Kare... can be found at the shops along c328 I think. Most diffusors should be alright.

You can only know if you're injecting enough CO2 or too little by plant health.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    MM does not melt so easily... Are they being crowded? Emersed MM looks a bit like HC, very short... So, I don't think they are melting because they are emersed...

Use your filter outlet to transfer the water near the flipper (CO2 rich) to the other end to ensure a better spread. Or, why not engage in a reactor instead?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    MM does not melt so easily... Are they being crowded? Emersed MM looks a bit like HC, very short... So, I don't think they are melting because they are emersed...
    That's what I thought - that MM is quite easy to grow and hardy. What do you mean by are they being crowded? I planted them in bunches of 5 - 6 stems, as they are pretty delicate, and otherwise it'll take me ages to plant them by individual stalks. Each bunches are adequately spaced out.

Aside from potential CO2 problem, am at a loss figuring out why some of the MM turn darker color and melts.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Try planting them single stalked or in 2-3 stalks. Where do they start rotting? From base or from leaves?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it looks like the rot starts from the base. tonight i observed that some of the MM definitely turned dark and very frail/melty. and on the tips of some MM i noticed a very fine threadlike cotton mass...i think it's some type of algae. currently on the tips of some MM only. definitely the MMs are not doing well.