Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yamatos sensitive to PH?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I wish to know whether yamatos are sensitive to low ph or not. My tank has has been cycling for 1 week before I add yamatos to try and clean any algae. I have tried to acclimatise the shrimps by floating the bag for 20 mins and then adding water from the tank first into the bag.

But as soon as I transfer the shrimps into the tank, they jumped around and then passed out. then they die a few hours later.

I am using Aquasoil so my ph is now about 4.9-5.00. Not sure the shrimps died because of low ph, or possibly CO2 overdose. I am worried to introduce fishes to the tank if yamatos died like that.

Tank Dimensions (LxWxH, specify units): 60cm x 40cm x 45cm

Lighting Intensity(No of Watts) : 4 x 24w
    Number and type of Lighting (FL/PL/MH) :T5HO
    Age of light bulbs : 5 days
    No. of hours your lights are on : 8 hours

CO2 Injection Rate (bps) : don't know, but plants are bubbling after 1 hour of injection.
    Type of CO2 (DIY/Cylinder) : cylinder
    Method of Injection (e.g. Diffusor/Reactor) : diffusor

Liquid fertilisers Used (Product name. E.g. Seachem Flourish) :JAQNO Floracion
    Fertilization regime (Frequency and amount per dose) :3x weekly
    1/8 tsp KNO3
    1/32 tsp KH2PO4
    1/32 tsp K2SO4
    Trace elements from JAQNO Floracion

Other fertilisers (Product name. E.g. Root Monster) : ECA, Dennerle Gold 7

Type of Filter (overhead/internal/canister, Product name/model if possible) : Eheim 2222
    When was the filter last washed :brand new
    Filter media used : supplied
    When was the media last changed : brand new
    What was changed : n/a

Age of setup (i.e. since initial setup or last major re-do ) : 9 days

Water change frequency : twice weekly
    Amount changed : 30%

Water surface movement (None/gentle/turbulent) : gentle
    Circulation (None/gentle/turbulent) :gentle

Tank Temperature :28 degrees

Chemical Properties (Fill what you can)
    -------------------------------------
    KH (dKH): 2
    pH : 4.9

Bioload (Number and type of fish and plants)
    ------------------------------------------
    Glossotigma Elastenoides
    Riccia
    Ludwigia Arcuata
    Micranthem Micranthemoides
    Mayaca
    Anubias var. nana
    Rotala sp.

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Think could be a combination of low ph and the tank not being cycled enough. Ammonia could be still pretty high. Did you do a check?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh yes, forgot to mention that i checked for nitrate, last thursday still a bit high, but by last saturday the nitrate levels are down low.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hanako, check out this link and especially comments by silane, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=21236.

your ADA soil(1 week) not ready for shrimps to live in with the ph now.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by richietay
    Hanako, check out this link and especially comments by silane, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=21236.

your ADA soil(1 week) not ready for shrimps to live in.
    got it, thanks richietay. i suppose will have to wait for some time before i can introduce yamatos. will it be too early to introduce fish like tetras into the tank then?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yamatos

HI , I had same problem as u , yamatos died in my 3ft Amazonia soil tank check PH 4.8-5.1...fishes all o.k...so what i think should be the ph...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my cardinal tetras are doing well. i introduced them into the tank 1 week after i changed to ADA in April. it's been 2 months plus now and they are growing well. however, yamatos still cannot make it even when i started introducing them into the tank last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanako
    got it, thanks richietay. i suppose will have to wait for some time before i can introduce yamatos. will it be too early to introduce fish like tetras into the tank then?
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so useful!

then, if yamatos can't live with aquasoil, i wonder what other critter(s) are useful to clean up general algae aside from yamatos?! otos?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ammonia level

Just read silane inputs..i think should be the ammonia n maybe low ph that killed my cherrys n yamatos....thanks guys for all the useful tips...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hanako,
    Aquasoil is definitely suitable for shrimps. I'm keeping my cherries using aquasoil as my substrate. The only thing about aquasoil is that the amonia and pH initially is abit too tough for them to adapt.
    It took me about 5-6weeks of water change every two days to allow me introuce shrimps effectively into my tank.
    Give yourself sometime, just be a little hardworking initially, do water change regularly.
    Look at Silane's inputs, he had helped me great in solving my initial problem. Cheers to him

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kemp, that is encouraging to hear indeed.

guys, by the way, last saturday when i tested for nitrate, the level is 5 mg/l. but today, when i tested again, the level is 40 mg/l . how could this be? i thought that my tank has almost finished cycling by sun/mon, and now the nitrate level has shot up so much. there are no faunas in my tank, only plants. has anyone encounter this problem or is it normal? and here i was thinking of getting some fish tomorrow...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hanako, cycling alone is not enough, require to do water change.

Meantime, do water change for your tank(do not wash the soil), if you doing 100% water change, best to use aged water or anti-chlorine solution(for fresh water).
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aging water does not serve any purpose if chloramine is being used since it would last up to several weeks or so.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yamatoes are very sensitive to water conditions. They are not particularly suitable for new tanks. Try to delay adding them until your tank is stably running for a few weeks (not including the initial cycling).

I think the shrimp death is not so much due to pH, but probably CO2 and/or maybe NH4/NH3/NO2.

I spend at least 45min to 1 hr aclimatising the shrimps before I add them into the tank, particularly if the tank is CO2 enriched. I will leave the shrimp in a pail. Then, I will add a siphon with a clip controlling the flow from the tank into the pail. Water will slowly drip into the pail throughout the 45min to 1 hr. Only after that I will add the shrimps into the tank.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bclee, wah so much trouble.

but i also think it could actually be a combination of co2 overdose. i introduced one chocolate gourami and one oto two days ago, and they were gasping on the surface and look like they were going to faint. but hours after lights and co2 off, the next morning i see them still swimming in the tank.

i have already lowered the co2, but now probably facing some algae attack on my anubias nana . i have a high light tank, and now i see my nana has some dark spots, a few started sprouting some short hairy algae that is turning some of the leaves brownish, and the edges of a couple of the new nana shoots are turning blacking. sigh....calibrating this co2 to be just the right level is a lot of work.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bclee, wah so much trouble.
    No trouble at all...

I am a lazy person. All I have to do is to

1. pour the fish/shrimps into the pail (<10 sec)
    2. setup the siphon (1 min)
    3. watch TV or surf the net or take a nap.... for 1 hour (I setup the siphon such that the inlet tube is very close to the tank surface... so no chance of overflow... the siphon will break before the pail overflow.)
    4. net the fish/shrimp and add it to the tank (< 3 min)
    5. admire the new additions for the next 1 hour...

BC