Country
    Singapore

Assistance required - Tank Pic provided

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Attachment 3265

Hi all, I'm really new to this planted tank business... I hope to achieve a "zen" garden kinda tank, to watch shrimps and fishes and relax... so far i did the major mistake of putting in fishes and shrimps before the tank cycle (its one week old)... thus resulting in heavy casualties...

Please give me comments as to how to adjust the plants, what plants to buy... Do help ID the plants too...

Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How big is your tank and what hardware are you using? More infor please
    It's not just "Step1: Add Water, Step2: Add Fish" If everything else don't work, add plastic plants and fish

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its a 3 feet... i am using a c02 kit and a fluval filter...

gravel is ocean free gravel mix with smallish pebbles...

there is a small layer of base fert... sera brand?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Memnoch, i would suggest that for a start, you may surf the sticky "inspirational sites" in the "Aquascape" thread, to give yourself a feel of what layout you really like to have.

Cycling is process for building up a colony of nitrifying bacteria to convert harmful ammonia and nitrite to nitrate. For a bare tank and fish only set up, a cycling process may take 6 weeks, depending on the amount of ammonia added and oxygen.

On the other hand, for a planted tank, the cycling process may be shorten or short circuit. Consider this- plant itself takes in nutrient, including ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as a source nitrogen. What is left for the nitrifying bacteria you are cultivating? If the plant is thriving, your plant will be your best bio filter. So get more plants right from the start and it will save you lots of headache subsequently.

It is risky to add in critters on the first day of a newly set up planted tank as the plant still need time to adapt to itself to the new water condition. Monitor the growth of the plants. Leave the tank alone for at least 4 days to a week and if you see some new shoots coming out or the plant is pearling, add in some critters and enjoy..
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    are you using any fan? what's your light specification?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh dear, theres so much to know, light specs, etc

no i have no fan, and i dunno what light it is,

its a 38 dollar light from c328...

can anyone id the plants?

i know i have 2 small pots of HC... i didnt remove the pots for fear the plants will float up and move all over...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your hc is growing vertically upward and it may due to insufficient light intensity.

Read the sticky and it will answer most of your queries.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Memnoch,

I think your tank needs a real big centrepiece to command presence in the tank, a nice looking solid granite rock right in the centre or to the back will be perfect. Best if the rock has the chinese word "Chan" inscribed on one surface

Anyway, to have a Zen-like garden, you might want find out what is Zen in the first place. So a simple surf will allow you an insight to inner workings and concepts of Zen. Uniformity and concentration is one aspect of Zen. Your substrate consist of too many coloured pebbles which scatters attention and may make it hard to view your tank in the right peaceful mindset. To remove the small pebbles of course will involve alot of work. If you want to leave the larger round pebbles behind, I suggest removing the white ones and leave the black or darker ones behind to avoid glare from your light distracting your attention.

Take a look at this website on Japanese Zen gardens to have a feel on how to scape your tank.

http://www.pbase.com/embe/japanese_g...a_and_concrete

And then try this one for laughter...hilarious

http://www.do-not-zzz.com/

Have fun..
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually i dont think the upwards plant is HC, the HC i was referring to is the 2 green patches closer to the foreground... and they seem to be slowly creeping sideways

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what's the wattage of your light? look at the light tubes, it should be stated there
    Bro, i think you really need to furnish us with more details of your tank.
    are you using DIY CO2 or cylinder CO2?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Would love to see your tank pic.

Thanks...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Okie....

Tank specs

3 foot x 16 inch x 1.5feet
    gravel is 2 bags of ocean free red colour gravel (was told its laterite) + 2-3 inches of 0.5 -1cm crushed pebbles from my old tank
    Base fert -sea brand - 1 tub
    Cannister CO2 - 3-4 bps
    Light - the C328 boy said its 70W. (tai yang deng - sunlight?) i dun really know what brand

Plants - 2 small pots on HC (seems to have greenish hair agae on them - HELP!!!), 1 spirelly thin leaf plant (dunno what is it - please id it for me) - seem to have ganna the hair algae too, 1 pot of mini annubias, 1 pot of Crinum calamistratum (i think..., please help me ID too), some broken up 'marimo' algae balls, 1 pot of hairgrass, and a plastic mesh wall containing some taiwan moss...

fauna includes 3 dead otos, 2 live otos
    20 dead cherry shrimps
    4 dead yamatos, 2 live yamatos

BTW - i bought a largish piece of drift wood... am soaking it now waiting for weekend where i will do a major rearrangement...

Argh... the hair algae... how? should i add the algae medicine that C328 recommend? what are the cons?