Country
    Singapore

Planted tank and fish disease treatment

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Not sure if this was discussed below. I run a search but could not perform it, my internet connection is too slow over here.

Just want to ask if i can doze anti-white spot medecine to treat white spot on my chinese algae eater, and one or two guppies in a planted tank(non-co2).

I lost all my 10 neons tetra (expensively bought ) from white spot disease. I took them out to cure them, but did not manage to effectively treat them.

This time I added the blue medecine anti-white spot in the tank directly according to dosage.

Will it affect the plants? Is it a disease born in the water? just is white spot a symptoms of a few illness...

Regards
    Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Manage to get someone to search for me...

apparently not much effect on plants..

Heater, salt, medication were suggested.

What salt are we refering to? table salt, or something else (mgso4 is it?)

Christophe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure if Mauritius has freshwater aquarium salt... Not the marine salt.
    Table salt might not be a good idea as there might be other ingredients in it other than NaCl...

Dosage is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons... Dose for 2 weeks. Do 50% water change after 5 days, else your water might be abit too salty and some of the plants, especially mosses (due to increased temperature as well) will suffer...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Freshwater aquarium salt...yes have, have to go buy in lfs... hmm, will go tmr.

thanks vincent

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Christophe, why not prepare a quarantine tank for your sick fishes.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm, no more tank, no more space.

I am trying to cure this batch. If they do not get cure, i will ask my dad to do a major W.C and wait a few weeks before adding fish again. I am leaving Mauritius in 2 days to be precise (sat) and will not have time for such.

Lack of equipment, lack of space, high costs of equipment and medecine in mauritius. these are among the most important reasons. Unlike in singapore where we get everything, the mauritian aqua market is still very poorly developed and dominated by a few shops which charge high price.

I already have a few tank back home, and no space to put quarantine tank. (4 feet goldfish tank, 2 feet flowerhorn, 2 feet parrot, 2 feet planted, turtle pond) )

Apart for the goldfish tank which was there before i come to singapore 4 years ago, the rest were setup on my previous holiday visits,
    Recently set up this planted tank.

But i think the white spot is also because of sudden temperature changes. Now it is winter time, and my temperature is about 20-24. Sometimes, within same week, it can go 28, then drop 20 same day. And with newly introduced fish, they have yet to adapt.

if this batch of fish does not make it, i wun buy any, but will ask my dad to go fish endlers or guppies in the wild.

In a few days i will post pic of the fishes(endlers and guppies) caught in the wild.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession
    Lack of equipment, lack of space, high costs of equipment and medecine in mauritius. these are among the most important reasons. Unlike in singapore where we get everything, the mauritian aqua market is still very poorly developed and dominated by a few shops which charge high price.
    Probably that's why here hobbyists take things for granted at times...

Btw, think removing the fishes from the infected tank will stress them even more and accelerate their demise. Moreover, treating is preferably done to the entire tank as the ich parasite is most likely at different stages of its life cycle... Some free swimming, some dormant in the substrate...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Parasite treatment

Hi guys, i am also new to this hobby. But just wanna share my 5 cents worth. I went to a shop in Seletar to buy some parasites control medication & was introduced a UV pump (An enclosed PURE UV bulb within a powerhead which sucks water in & throw it out) . It claimed to be aBLE to treat even white worms!!! Anyway i had a spade of dying tets in my tank, after running the pump for 2 weeks, it seemed that death rate has dropped tremendously and their "rotting fins" are also growing back though not perfect at this stage(after approx 2 weeks). Any comments???