Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Algae present in new planted tank!

Feedback Score

HELP!!! Algae present in new planted tank!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello folks,

Just came back from a 2 weeks biz trip and quite shocked to find a variety of mishaps on my new planted tank. First, a week into my trip the fans that I installed came loose and fell into the water - the AC-DC converter was totally screwed as a result. Second, some of my fishes are missing and no remains to be found. Wonder whether they were killed as a result of the electric shock. Third, there's now a healthy growth of algae in the tank.

The good news - my plants are growing quite nicely and the tank is finally cycled, i.e. ammonia and nitrite at 0. Saw my anubias var. nana giving out thin trails of bubbles last night [] but no observable photosynthesis from the other plants though. Hmm... I wonder why bubbles from plants are so fascinating but not bubbles from air-stone ?

Anyway, how can I effectively remove algae that are growing on my plants? Don't know exactly what type of algae but definitely a variety of them I've reduced the light timer from 12 to 10 hours. I’ve added 15 Yamato shrimps, 5 Malayan shrimps and 3 Otos over the weekend. Presently, there are a total of 5 Otos and 1 flying fox in my tank. I will need to get a few SAEs in the next few days. Do I have enough algae fighters in a 3.5 feet, 220 liters tank? How many more SAEs, Otos, Yamato shrimps, etc. do I need to get to effectively check the growth of algae?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your Algae crew sounds good enough. SAEs will help. Do not feed them. The dead fishes probably got makaned by the shrimp. Stop fertilising the water.

Algae come from nutrient imbalance. Have you tested for P and Nitrates?

What plants do you have in the tank? Adding fast growing plants will help to soak up excess nutrients. Eg. Hygrophila polysperma, H.Difformis, duck weed.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Roy, maybe get a packet of malayan at ff. Cost ard $10 for 100 shrimps. SAE, don't buy first. Ur otos shud be enuf.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its a norm to experience some death during the inital period, does y, algae eaters r added to keep algae at bay... its oso good to add diff algae eaters.. especially when u r not feeding them.. jus do water change, stop fertilization like what budak pointed out, add plants if u have to

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, wrong newt. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wat newt? did I say something wrong?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You quoted wrong person... Vinz not Budak. Both of us use the same newt avatar. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Roy,

I think the SAE, smaller type is out of stock. Managed to buy some at PetMart last Sunday and Nature has none.........[:0]

Small SAE is more hardworking

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Saw SAEs at That Fish and Pet Place (Blk 108, Hougang Ave1. Walk around the block, there are at least 3 LFS there) yesterday. Don't look very healthy though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Me too guys, got super outbreak of hair algae, i just had to let it grow till long then hand pluck them.mmmm fresh from the garden.
    It grows everywhere within days & i harvest every 14days.
    tried SAE,Plecs,& some others(even chestnut snails but they lay eggs all over front glass). Problemalthough they do clear the algae) they seem to like Discus mucus very much,when they ready to spawn so much so that they follow(stalk) & suck the living daylights like vampires.
    I tried diff animals & all seem to like the mucus. recent addition a plec,since removed.

chemical algae treatment i would like to avoid, u never know the full side effects.

i dun dose with any fert,no CO2. All provided by 5 Adult Discus(Au natural).Never touched the gravel(which is abt 5cm layer)for over 3yrs- plants shoot new roots in days.
    its a 4ftx1.5x1.5:ammonia 0,nirites 0,nitrates below 5ppm-all done by bacteria in-tank. 1x internal boyu filter for mechanical & water circulation.lighting 2 tubes FL 7500K.one on 10hrs & the other 12hrs.
    so how? continue manual harvesting?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    after battling BBA in my 4ft, now I oso have those green algae.. which I remove using a toothbrush...[]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bawater,

For green hair algae, platys and family. Honey gouramis worked for me once.

One time I solved it without adding critters by improving circulation thruout the tank (but not increasing the flow).

Does the hair algae grow in particular parts of the tank but not elsewhere?

Feedback Score
    Folks,

Thanks a lot. Don't have a chance to read all the posts. Have to rush off now for my root canal treatment - OUCH!!! Gotten a quick glance and got the key points. Re-read tonight and re-post.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for the prompt reply.

To vinz:

Have to feed the fishes because I've other fishes beside algae cleaning crew. I've got a good variety of plants and at least 2 kinds of fast growing plants but don't have their names on hand right now. Presently, no test kits for testing P and Nitrates. Haven't done any any fertilisation since day 1.

To BFG:

100 Malayan shrimps? Not too excessive? I'm learning so will give it a try.

To simon:

Presently, I've got only 4 otos, 1 flying fox and what's left of my 15 Yamato and 5 Malayans shrimps - some jumped and some died. Getting some saes in the next few days. What else can I add for more comprehensive aglae fighters?

To colin:

Queenstown wet market has got lots of saes. Btw, are you the one who took some plants from me - I'm the one from Toa Payoh?

To bawater,

Wow, quite a handful to digest [] ! Get back to you later bcoz it's kinda late now. Question - 2 tube FL for 4 feet tank, enough?

Anyway, I'll manually harvest algae when push off the edge [] ! My dog is gonna piss in the tank now that I spend so much time with it

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    roy, can let me know where you get SAE cos there seem to be a shortage at the moment. Let me know how big they are, thanx.

BTW, Malayan shrimp should be in the hundreds, don't worry []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Just remember to save a few for me when you get there [] The lfs is in Mei Ling Street / Queenstown wet market. Quite close to the stadium and Mei Chin Primary School. There's only one market in the vincinity so ask around if you get lost. My friend stays next to the market so I can ask for the exact location if you need exact location.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bawater,

Just chanced upon a little nugget of info. Some ppl think that green hair algae is caused by excess Fe in the water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    increase yr arsenal... besides the common SAE, oto, yamato, malayan shrimps.. u can oso give pencilfish, mollies, twig catfish, bristlenose pleco a try

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Roy, don't worry about the numbers. My 3ft tank gets a top-up of 100 shrimps every 2 months or so. My auratus, apistos n buenos aires tetras go after them occasionally. Also present in the tanks are 4 otos, that's all the algae eaters I have. SAE I don't dare 2 add coz heard from fellow forum members they will switch 2 fish food n ignore the algae. N they will grow large.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast