Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What eats up my tonina?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just started planting Tonina Sp. 'Belem' and I noticed that the leaves are being eaten .. in fact, some of the plants are left with the stem only.

I suspect it's either my SAEs or Yamato shrimp ... which one do you think is the culprit? I have about 4 SAEs and 4 Yamato in my 3 feet tank, FYI.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Could be your Yamatoes. As I do have both SAE & Tonina Sp. 'Belem' in my tank and so far the Tonina's leaf are still there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes yamato will hantam toninas really really fast.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My observation is that your tonina may not be doing well, thus the yamatos are consuming the toninas i.e. meltdown leaves.

Are the toninas growing healthily?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When I had Eriocaulon Sp. (soft leaf) in my tank I too had this problem, so one of the day I just just some observation and I was surprised to see my Rummy noses chewing on the leaves till the stems are left... the 2 SAEs and yamatos & malayans, etc didn't touch the Eriocaulon Sp.... so....

Besides the SAEs and Yamatos, there's no other fauna?
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had the same problem with tonina and my problem was only confined to 1 yamato out of the lot of more than 10.
    That particular yamatos just happened to develop a liking for tonina. Get rid of it and the tonina forest will bloom.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by winston77
    My observation is that your tonina may not be doing well, thus the yamatos are consuming the toninas i.e. meltdown leaves.

Are the toninas growing healthily?
    I juz started planting them ... but definitely the leaves are not melted ... they looked green and healthy. In fact, i saw some bubbling.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox
    When I had Eriocaulon Sp. (soft leaf) in my tank I too had this problem, so one of the day I just just some observation and I was surprised to see my Rummy noses chewing on the leaves till the stems are left... the 2 SAEs and yamatos & malayans, etc didn't touch the Eriocaulon Sp.... so....

Besides the SAEs and Yamatos, there's no other fauna?
    Oh shit! I juz removed my yamato this morning ... and I also have rummy nose and cardinal tetras .. don't tell me it's my rummy nose ..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    I had the same problem with tonina and my problem was only confined to 1 yamato out of the lot of more than 10.
    That particular yamatos just happened to develop a liking for tonina. Get rid of it and the tonina forest will bloom.
    That's interesting ... anyway, i have removed all my yamato and let's see how it goes ... my precious tonina ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by krabbie
    Oh shit! I juz removed my yamato this morning ... and I also have rummy nose and cardinal tetras .. don't tell me it's my rummy nose ..

Oh, Oh !!! No doubt I do not have any Yamatos but I do have Rummy Nose & Cardinal in there together with my Tonina, too !

My Tonina has been in the tank for only 1 month and so far the leaves are still there. Looks like I must monitor my Tonina, too. And if I start to loose my Tonina's leaves, then I definitely know who is the culprit

By the way, how did you remove your Yamatos so fast ? Are they not jumpy and difficult to catch within one morning ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    haha .. I caught them this morning at 7am ... they were not fully awake yet ... piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by paperman
    By the way, how did you remove your Yamatos so fast ? Are they not jumpy and difficult to catch within one morning ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can always feed the critters well to prevent them from going after the plants. I'm not sure if that is really the real issue if the plants are really growing well and pretty fast. You are missing something since most of them are weeds with good amount of light/CO2 and nutrients.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Red eye tetras are vicious eaters too, they wipe out my green lotus. Leaving bite marks like a caterpillar, and leaves shredded to bits.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    haha .. I caught them this morning at 7am ... they were not fully awake yet ... piece of cake.
    What a good idea... catch them when they are half awake state...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's interesting ... anyway, i have removed all my yamato and let's see how it goes ... my precious tonina ...
    My Tonina is still being eaten ... i suspect it's my SAE ... saw them biting it a couple of times

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Check out for snails!
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/