Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Got my new CO2 tank... How to use???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Got my new CO2 tank... How to use???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    OK, got my CO2 tank.

All setup and running fine.

I wanted to know how much I CO2 should put for my tank and I get confused by this ppm thingy.

I know that there is a CO2 calculator that is in this forum but I searched and searched, where is the calculator?

Just wanted to know how many bubbles per minute I should give to my 24 galleons Nanocube tank? (18"X19.8"X19.7")
    Last edited by nkthen; 3rd Aug 2006 at 21:11.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You look at the top right hand of this page, there's the calculator there

Start with 1 per second and adjust till you get the right concentration.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah... yes! Man, I'm must be real dumb!

A few more questions, my diffuser is getting condensed water. Is that normal?

And I also hear a little hissing sound from the diffuser. Is that normal for a tank?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The hissing sound is the bubbles popping at the surface. Bring your ear closer to hear

Condensed water? I think a picture can explain better...

Just to add, it sounds like the bubbles are just going straight up to the water surface and popping. You might want to direct water flow so that bubbles are pushed and bumped about throughout the tank for better solublity time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    The hissing sound is the bubbles popping at the surface. Bring your ear closer to hear

Condensed water? I think a picture can explain better...

Just to add, it sounds like the bubbles are just going straight up to the water surface and popping. You might want to direct water flow so that bubbles are pushed and bumped about throughout the tank for better solublity time.
    The hissing sound is from the dispenser itself.

As for the water, the dews are formed at the dispenser itself.

I don't know if I am correct but I have the CO2 tank in my cabinet, there is this bubble counter that suppose to count the bubbles. However, the tank seems to have problems pushing the bubbles into the counter. When I turn off the CO2 tank, the water flows backwards into the CO2 tank, causing a small water leak at my dispenser.

Any help?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Are you referring to the diffuser instead of the dispenser? I get a low hissing noise from my diffusers too and sometimes some condensate within the diffuser. Should be alright.

Strange but there should not be a problem pusing bubbles into the counter. I suspect that there is a leak somewhere. Maybe you can post a picture of your setup. Get a check valve to prevent backflow of tank water when CO2 is turned off.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, I may be confused. Diffuser is the one in the water, dispenser is the one at the tank.

I've got a problem with the one at the tank. Yes, there is a backflow when I turn off the CO2.

Now my entire CO2 tank has been used up, just one day!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    In one day?! There is definitely a leak in your set-up!

Is your dispenser a manual value or through a solenoid valve? There should be no hissing noise from the rest of the equipment. Soapy water helps you to identify leak spots but since the CO2 tank is empty, no use for this.

You can approach the LFS where you got the CO2 set for advice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    the hissing sound is a leak ... suspect it's from the bubble counter connection.
    to prevent backflow, use a check valve.

co2 tank -> tubing -> check valve -> tubing -> bubble counter -> tubing -> diffusor

if kiasu, use this

co2 tank -> tubing -> check valve -> tubing -> bubble counter -> tubing -> check valve -> tubing -> diffusor
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    did i see wrongly or did he say he had water backflow back into the tank?
    if he did then its gonna be big trouble....

dun say i anyhow say n scare him.
    maybe he can clarify on this?

if water flow into the tank then may have to vacuum it....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, the water flows back from the bubble counter INTO the dispenser. The water leaks at the knob.

BTW, what's this check valve?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nkthen,

If that is the case, your cylinder is most likely busted and has to be overhauled. Suggest that you bring it back to the LFS where you got the set and tell them what happened.

A check valve is a simple device pretty much like what a diode is in electrical circuits. It permits air to flow in one direction, i.e., CO2 into the tank and prevents (not 100%) air (and tank water due to siphoning effect) the other way into the CO2 tank. Most LFS should have and it cost about S$1.5 - 2. Strange that the LFS owner did not advise you to get a check valve for your CO2 set..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, I've got the tank changed and I have 2 check valve to and from the bubble counter.

Everything looks fine.

But, there's another problem

I set the bubbles to go at 1-2 bubbles per second. At the tank, I don't see the bubbles coming. I have to increase the bubbles to 20-30 bubbles per second so that I can see the bubble released at the end of the tube.

I thought maybe the rubber pipe leaked, so I changed a new one. This time, it is ok: 1-2 bubbles count per second, at the end of the tube, I get to see one CO2 bubble coming out of the tube but it's very SLOW. I'm talking about 1 CO2 bubble released per 5 seconds.

Is that correct?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh? How do you "set" the bps? We normally obtain the bps by observing the bubbles in your bubble counter and adjusting accordingly.

Please check that you have your check valves used in the correct orientation.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, the check valve is set in the correct direction.

I turn the knob located near the top of the dispenser to adjust the bps.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I assume the dispenser refers to what we normally call the regulator?

Check for leaks again and again. Eliminate one by one the possible points where leaks can occur.

You may not have opened the main valve on the cylinder fully. Turn 1 and a half rounds.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've tried this:

I check the rate from the regulator outlet to the bubble counter. It's about 10+ bubbles per second.

Then I plug in the pipe from the regulator directly from the outlet into the tank. It's about 4-5 bubbles per second.

So it's the pipet that's leaking? Impossible, it's new.

Or, the pipe is too long?