Country
    Singapore

Ready-made CO2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi.

I have planted riccia and xmas moss in my 2ft tank. But they're turning brown and I'm afraid they're dying. I added Seachem Flourish Excel yesterday, hopefully to revive them.

Do I need CO2 or is adding the SFE sufficient for the plants? I'm planning more plants soon. Has anyone tried the ready-made CO2 from JBL, or is it JBJ? I don't want to DIY the CO2.

Pls advice.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    riccia needs C02 to thrive.. xmas moss shld be ok without one.. those off-shelve C02 using the same concept as the DIY.. its very very much cheaper to DIY

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Uncle catz,
    i'm using the JBl one... it's pretty reliable. supply of CO2 is constant. adding SFE with CO2 will make your riccia grow faster, just like mine, they really flourish faster than before. have enuf light too. you don have to buy the whole set. all you need is to get a bottle of the JBL Bio CO2. the packet of micro organisms that they mention is non other than yeast. so don have to buy the whole set. i thought what micro organisms they are so i bought them... found that they're yeast, SHOCK!!!! [:0] i spent $7 on yeast? i think with that i can get at least 5 boxes at a baker shop. so jus get the bottle of CO2, go to ntuc or any supermarket and buy yeast, get a CO2 atomiser (better) and a normal airtube and there's your CO2 supply for your riccia

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    hi raytan12

wat is CO2 atomiser? where can i get them? how much? NA Nature have?

currently using DIY CO2 too which can c my riccia pearling.BUT the CO2 running from a normal aquatic tube w/o any air-stone etc....(opened).

to catz:where u get yr xmas moss? cos would like to create a back WALL effect.

thks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi justjoin,
    yes, bought it from Nature Aq. think it's less than $5 if i am not wrong.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanx for the tips.

Raytan12,I saw the JBL Bio CO2 at NA selling for $18 as a set. How much for just the bottle? How much yeast shd i add to the CO2 bottle if I get it separately?

Justjoin, I got the xmas moss from Jason, who advertised on the classified. I can PM u his no. if u're interested. Got half tub for $10. thot it was ex after buying it. Just hope they don't die on me.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/13/2002 11:55:01 AM

Thanx for the tips.

Raytan12,I saw the JBL Bio CO2 at NA selling for $18 as a set. How much for just the bottle? How much yeast shd i add to the CO2 bottle if I get it separately?

Justjoin, I got the xmas moss from Jason, who advertised on the classified. I can PM u his no. if u're interested. Got half tub for $10. thot it was ex after buying it. Just hope they don't die on me.

----------------
    Xmoss try to give it cold water around 25-26°C. I planted them on a steel mesh, in a 5 litre tank in the office. The cold aircon make them grow into a thick mat 1cm thick!

For the JBL CO2, after the first bottle got used up, throw out the content, put in 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon soda (recommended but I myself never tried, still works), fill with tapwater to where JBL instructs (the line at the top of the bottle), some yeast (I use the chinese chef method, throw some in, "feel" whether it is enough) roughly half teaspoon. Shake it a bit to make all the yeast go into the water and not stuck to the side. In a few hours you will have CO2
    [] [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanx hwchoy

I'm always confused when I hear the recipe for making CO2. Just how much is a cup of sugar? Are u referring a standard coffee cup? What abt in terms of no. of teaspoons instead of a cup? I oso hear 2 cups of sugar, a cup of soda, and again... some yeast.(How much????)

I guess it'd help if I say I'd be using a 500ML mineral bottle. Pls advise.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    for my case, a cup(i used the cup for measuring rice)

My DIY CO2 is make up of

Using a 2 litre bottle,
    1 cup sugar dissolved in hot water, top up with water(room temperature) from the tap to abt 3/4 full of the btl.
    Mixed 0.5 teaspoon instant yeast &
    mixed 0.5 teaspoon baking soda.
    SHAKED well.

so far my DIY has lasted me for 11 days & still producing CO2 but lesser.

after 1 day, my riccia is pearling.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    riccia and xmas moss ? on 2 end of the light requirement imho. xmas needs cool water and shade to thrive. riccia ... temp is not a problem. give it light and co2 and they will grow at a rate that they become a nuisance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I dun even have CO2 added in my 2FT and Riccia is already growing like crazy liao in my 1x36W+1x15W lighting.
    Never bother with temp. either. Cannot control within my means.
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not so lucky. My riccia is not thriving but instead is turning brown despite 1 x 36W lighting and daily dose of Seachem Flourish Excel.
    Xmas moss seems ok without the 'cold treatment'. Thot adding CO2 may do the trick, without killing my cardinals and rummy nose of course.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    doesn't matter what size cup, they don't differ so much. seems to work.

Xmoss I find is OK with lights, but grow really well with cold water. Mine is pearling like crazy under strong light, but cold water in the office.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyone has good suggestion whether a reactor or diffuser is better for a DIY CO2? If I'm using an external cannister with spray bar outlet an inch beneath the water surface, would it undermine the performance of the reactor?
    How much is each type and do you recommend a check valve and bubble counter to go with it? What is an atomizer?

I'll DIY the CO2 soon and guess I need one or more of these items to set up right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/15/2002 5:21:35 PM

doesn't matter what size cup, they don't differ so much. seems to work.

Xmoss I find is OK with lights, but grow really well with cold water. Mine is pearling like crazy under strong light, but cold water in the office.
    ----------------
    As long as you use the same size cup to measure everything.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,

An atomizer is basically an airstone. The diff is that they produce finer bubbles as compare to traditional airstone.

A check valve is to prevent water from flowing back and its good to have it as a prevention.

if it's 4 a 2ft tank i think u don need a bubble counter. (save money to buy plants) n a reactor will look too big 4 a 2ft tank. jux let your DIY CO2 run 24hr

As for a diffuser, some say the DIY pressure is not enough to push thru the walls but some have no problems with it.
    So choice is yours.

Hope this helps. Have fun

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So are you using a diffuser, atomizer or reactor? I've seen an external reactor. I read it is the best form to dissolve CO2. Any one tried? Thot may as well invest on one and would be useful should I upgrade to a bigger tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Me juz use an airstone(cheapskate hahaha). []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    you can pipe the co2 to the inlet of your filter.
    the impeller blades will breakup the co2 bubble.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    for my case, a cup(i used the cup for measuring rice)

My DIY CO2 is make up of

Using a 2 litre bottle,
    1 cup sugar dissolved in hot water, top up with water(room temperature) from the tap to abt 3/4 full of the btl.
    Mixed 0.5 teaspoon instant yeast &
    mixed 0.5 teaspoon baking soda.
    SHAKED well.

so far my DIY has lasted me for 11 days & still producing CO2 but lesser.

after 1 day, my riccia is pearling.

----------------
    Hi,

Me actually empted about 320g of sugar into a pot and boil it. Melt them and then cool it. After that, pour it into my pepsi bottle and added about 1.5 tbspoon of yeast and 1tbspoon of soda. Heehee, mine like tat can last me about 3-4 weeks. The main thing is to allow the yeast to react with the sugar and using the soda as catalyst.

Yeah .. putting the output into the filter inlet will help to dissolve 100% of the CO2 into the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast