Country
    Singapore

Bad rummy nose

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

After setting my 3*1.5*1.5 feet tank for about 1 month, everything was doing fine. Java ferns, java moss, crypts. all my rasboras and shrimps doing fine.

I had 3 rummy nose, and I manage to get 6 (-1 dead) rummy nose from a fellow forumer.

Guess what. After 2 weeks of observing the rummy nose swimming all the time at the bottom, in the java moss carpet, I noticed since yesterday they are FEASTING on my malayan and cherry shrimps. Arrggh.

Try to catch them! I CANNOT! what i did? remove all my DW, all plants, all moss, almost all water, just to catch them!!!!

And I am using ADA aquasoil which has already been crushed in parts with the DWs. My tank water is now back to day 1. Muddy, muddy. did a few water changes. but still have to let it settle.

I am so tired now! Lesson learnt: No rummy nose with my shrimps as from today!

Cheers.
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Encounter this before too, was quite surprised.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Huh? You mean Rummy Noses do attack Cherry Shrimps?!?!?!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    woah! 3*1.5*1.5 feet tank is alot of hard work, I feel for you. The last time I tore down a 2 ft took me 1 day and another day to recover. Tough luck with fast moving fishes!

Actually the trick is to use 2 nets, Rannasastome taught me.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Encounter this with my red eyes tetra and black neon tetra. Only adult cherry shrimp are alive.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No wonder... I never seen any shrimps in my tank with 20 odd rummynoses...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha, i tried two hands and net. I tried putting plastic sheet to conceal them to one place..but because of my DW, hard to do.

They were killing the bigger shrimps by attacking the head. They just swallow the shrimplets.

So, I could not let this go on, and I had to even tear down the tank to remove them asap.

Rasboras Harlequin don't even bother about the shrimps. They are more mid to top swimmers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Bleeding heart is another one with big mouth and appetite. Introduced 5 Least Rasbora last week. Once went into the 6' tank, the male Bleeding heart scooped up 4 immediately, the last one was hiding. Now not sure about it's fate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Luckily I came across this thread, i am about to add some Shrimps into my 4 ft tank which has about 20 rummy nose

Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Talking

ON A QUICK GLANCE AT THIS POST I THOUGHT IT SAID YOU GOT 3 RUNNY NOSE'S... THINK I NEED SPECTICALS.
    ƒ€€§h

From a Rekord 60 (52 litre) to a cumstom made (422 litre) tank in only 5 months IM DOING WELL

Dimensions 152 x 61 x 46cm/60" x 24" x 18
    Surface area 0.93 sqm/10.01 sq ft/ inches sq in
    Volume 422 l./93 gal. (111.48 US gal.)
    Probable volume 380 l./84 gal. (100 US gal.)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not only rummy nose attack cherry shrimp .. i had once seen my cardinal tetra swarming on one adult cherry shrimp.. luckily i manage to stop it.. but not before the fin on it tail was been bitten off.. (since now i do not know what cause them to swarm on that poor shrimp)
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro, how often do you feed the fishes ? And the temperature of ya tank ?Could it be due to plain hunger ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dont think so that thy are that hungry .. feed them twice a day.. temp of tank is abt 26-28
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I fed my fish more than enough. It's not about the food. Fish will continue eating as long as you give them. And with many shrimplets gazing on the java moss carpet, those rummy nose will simply prey on them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I kept rummy nose at one point of time and also found them to be pesky in the end. They are fast swimming fish, and don't do well with other peaceful, slower swimming fishes. In a small group, they're manageable. But I had 15 of these and they were constantly harrassing the fishes, not to mention shrimps.

It helps if the tank is heavily planted.

As for your substrate, ADA amozonia and africana will turn powdery after some time. It is inevitable, if you're using sush substrate. But over time, the sendiments will sink and settle. It should be alright in a matter of days, unless the bottom gets disturbed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What i can add is very simple --> NO SHRIMPS WITH TETRAS

tetras are canivorius/omnivorous..and shrimps are a fave food of theirs
    if you don't want shrimp deaths, then better don;t keep shrimps with fishes like tetras
    tetras will also eat fishes smaller than them and they can comfortably swallow.
    i had tetras who ate all their fry

rasboras harlequin are a good choice, they don't bother the shrimps at all mostly

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a mixture of rummy nose and cardinals in my tank. They will swarm at anything that moves or drop into the tank.

The only shrimps that seem not be disturbed by these jokers are my yamatos. Other than that the rest of my cherrys (whatever are left) are always hiding.

Waiting for my rescape to get rid of these buggers. Now too many to catch in my tank. Will cause havoc. Also no place for 2 nets to manage.

How about killies?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if you want a tank where fishes n shrimps live in harmony and shrimps can freely roam about without harassment and or attacks..then choice of fish is very important

as i said earlier...rasboras are very good choice

and also size does matter... when you first get the fauna
    make sure the fishes are too small to attack the shrimps

my belief is that once they get used to the idea of living together and that shrimps are not edible... they will be likely not to attack the shrimps, even if shrimplets appear later.

my shrimps are fine... climbing all over and standing right in the middle of my foreground with the shcool of rasboras over him and they don;t bother him
    probably helps that they are mostly mid level fish and rarely go to the bottom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetf
    The only shrimps that seem not be disturbed by these jokers are my yamatos.
    as for yamato.. mine even caught snatching food from my cory..
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Why all the negativity with tetras? It is the aquarist who should find out what can be mixed and what doesn't in the first place.

Time to use that Search button at the top provided by AQ more often.

BTW, not ALL tetras eat smaller fish and a LOT of other fishes besides tetra devour fries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast