Country
    Singapore

Fan queries for a 4ft

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi friends,

Gathering some information for my future 4ft project.

I'm not intending to get a Chiller due to the price and after asking around LFSes and looking a past threads, it seems that I can get away with using a fan to get temps about 26 - 28degrees C. Wouldn't be DIYing a fan set (have done 3 of such sets before) as I am aiming for a more "professional' look.

Appreciate if you could spare the time to share your knowledge on a few matters:

1. What is a good commercial fan to purchase in terms of cool efficiency, reliabilility, maintenance, electrical consumption and noise level?

2. Installing the fans parallel to the water surface or at a 45degree angle? I'm of the opinion that the latter installation would be more effective.

3. Timing of the fans. Was thinking of sychronising the fan operating time together with the lights. Reason being that the fan would be used to offset the increase in temp due to the lights and also to reduce the operating hours of the fan in a bid to extend its operating life. Also like to minimise water top-ups.

4. Any comments about the kind of fan sets to get? Any difference between getting one with a single larger fan compared to a set with 2 smaller fans?

Thanks a lot!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can try getting the Profantec or Sunon fans from LFSes...
    Price will come to about the same as a DIY and has nice clamps to clamp the fan to the tank...

I don't have experience with large tanks, but the Sunon fan I bought was capable of cooling my 2ftx1.5ft tank to 25.8 deg on a cool day... But I have a high ceiling, which helped in a way...

A fan can only reduce your tank to ambient temp and probably not lower than that...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you should run the fan 24hrs. My 5ft tank does not experience drop in temperature regardless of light on or off. In fact don't be suprised if the temp goes up when the fan and lights are off. My tank was at 30 deg all the time before I got a fan, now it is 27deg.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i have been bitten by the chiller bug so i can't really comment but i tend to agree with Valice... however, you'll probably need more than one fan to cool the tank efficiently.. it'll be a little noisy though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Hmmm... looks like the name Profantec comes up pretty often when it comes to fans. Am now wondering whether it would be better to get a set of 2 fans or 2 sets of single fans. Hmm.. I'll be sure to test the noise levels of the fans.

Btw, I noticed that some of the other forumers are even using those clip-on baby fans (those that are commonly used on baby cots) for their tanks. Care to share your experience on using such fans? Thanks!
    Last edited by FishFan; 16th Aug 2006 at 21:33.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a clip-on fan running 24/7 over my 4x2x2. Coolest so far attained in my tank is 25 degree celcius with 2x150MH about 30cm above the waters.
    I tilted the fan at 45 degrees, but it slowly tilt down (due to weight), I can't see much difference as many had claim. Average temp is between 25.5-28.

I am using two thermometer ^.^ and I got my AC fan from Chan few years back.

Hope this helps.

PS: forget about those baby fan....
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i recommend the Sunon fan.
    pretty durable.. comes with clamp and quite powerful
    but it evaporates water pretty fast...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Will check out Profantec and Sunon fans on my next visit to a LFS. Hmm... seems like most of you are running the fans continuously. Care to share the expected lifespan of the fans with this operating profile?

Hey Billy, why are you using 2 thermometers for your tanks? Or did you mean 2 separate fans instead?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFan
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Will check out Profantec and Sunon fans on my next visit to a LFS. Hmm... seems like most of you are running the fans continuously. Care to share the expected lifespan of the fans with this operating profile?

Hey Billy, why are you using 2 thermometers for your tanks? Or did you mean 2 separate fans instead?

I had been running the Profantec (I think) fan for 2 years without stop (besides cleaning it during chinese new period). I cant tell you how long it will last because it haven't fail on me.

I am running 2 thermometer for one simple reason. I always thought my digital thermometer was not accurate, how can I get such cool water when my house is not airy, and I am using 2x150w MH lights.
    However, my second thermometer which is an analog type tells me its possible.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...