Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Golden 3 line pencilfish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was at Wu Hu today, saw a new strain of pencilfish, golden 3 line pencilfish. As price is a sensitive issue here, I just say that it was 3 times more expensive than your average 3 line pencilfish. However, I cannot really see how this fish is really different from the normal 3 line, except for a few golden scales on its flank that you really need to squint to see. Anyone can explain its uniqueness to me?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well. I think it's a hybrid breed from Taiwan. It's also more red than the normal pencil fish, definitely not found in wild Amazon river if you want natural biotope setting. of course maybe it's mating colour...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah, a more striking coloured version, hence the hike in price. Coincidentally, would you know what species did it mix with?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania
    Ah, a more striking coloured version, hence the hike in price. Coincidentally, would you know what species did it mix with?
    Not too sure.
    It's a 'pep' fish you know,now that they have super red crytal shrimps super red cichlidae some colour stimulating factors from other fishes, gene? But I know some who bought them lose their striking colour after some time. Suspect need stimulating food as well to sustain.