Images
    Country
    Singapore

Only Skin Deep -- for those with a Biological leaning

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Meetings of the NUS DBS Biodiversity & Ecology Journal Club http://bejc.rafflesmuseum.net/

Only Skin Deep: Phylogeny and Evolution of Epidermal Characters in the Sisoridae

Ng Heok Hee
    Fish Division, Museum of Zoology,
    University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
    USA

Wednesday, 16th August 2006; 10:00AM
    Seminar Room 4

Blk S2, Level 2, Department of Biological Sciences
    The National University of Singapore
    Science Drive 4
    Visitors may park at Carpark 10
    See map http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/RMBR.JPG

Host: Dr. Tan Swee Hee

About the Talk

The phylogenetic relationships of the Asian hillstream catfish family Sisoridae are examined in this study, using a combination of morphological, mitochondrial and nuclear gene sequence data. The composition of the family is also examined and the current hypothesis that the Asian Erethistidae (previously considered part of the Sisoridae) is the sister group of the Neotropical catfish family Aspredinidae is tested with morphological and molecular data. Aspects of the historical biogeography of the Sisoridae are also examined using divergence time estimate analyses. Some epidermal characters in the Sisoridae, viz. the tubercles on the sides of the body and the epidermal structures of the thoracic region, were examined using both light and scanning electron microscopy; their evolution and phylogenetic significance in the light of the phylogenetic hypothesis obtained are discussed.

About the Speaker

Ng Heok Hee is interested in the systematics of Asian freshwater fishes, with particular emphasis on the Siluriformes (catfishes). His primary research interest is understanding the phylogenetic relationships of Asian catfishes using both morphological and molecular approaches, as well as addressing problems of the historical biogeography of the group. In recent years, his research has focused on the relationships within a group of hillstream catfishes, the Sisoroidea, as well as examining the evolution of epidermal characters in the group. Heok Hee graduated from the National University of Singapore in 2000 with a Master of Science and recently obtained his doctorate from the University of Michigan.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... would have loved to attend and catch up with Heok Hee. But too bad I'm out of town. Again.

Any one else interested in going for this? I suppose Choy will be attending...

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    talk! talk! talk! so who is going?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Carpark 10??????? hello... you know how far that is??? wah seh.. think i'll be illegally parked again..haha..and also...whats with the 10 am??? who in the world wakes up so early????????? i'll go if it wasn't so early.. see how la.. maybe tomorrow morning if i'm up i'll give you a ring... haiz.. all this for systematics.. a love i once had..that still someitmes lingers around..hahaha..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    more like I ring you lah. I always park at carpark 10, then walk all the way in can beo chio bu.