Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Is it possible to have ZERO algae in planted tank?

Feedback Score

Is it possible to have ZERO algae in planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After been into planted tank for a few weeks, algae is a constant nuisance. Observed quite a few planted tanks and most are infested with aglae of some kind. Hence, my question would be - is it possible to achieve a zero algae tank? The efforts invovled worth the outcome? Or, shoud I just learn to live with algae?

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    motto time: if u cant fight it, then live with it

Feedback Score
    A motto to live by!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ridding all algae is kinda ambitious
    keeping it to low, aesthetic levels should be our goal

Feedback Score
    I figured that's the way to go too. Saw this thread in other forum that this guy is giving up planted tank because of one disaster after other. The latest being algae problem. I think this hobby should be fun - striving for near perfection would only ruin the fun.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Algae is part of nature. If we are replicating nature in our tank, then we have to accept algae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think we can keep algae to a minimum by employing algae-eaters and nutrient control measures.

For me, I have got use to seeing algae in my tank. Just as I have got use to seeing snails in there.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Acutally, some people feel, a small presence of algae is an indication of a healthy tank.

Anyway, plant heavily and take the time to figure out the nutrient balance in your tank, you'll be rewarded with a long-term low algae tank. Find the cause of algae in your tank and fix it instead of going for instant anti-algae solutions.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the only algae you can't get rid of is green spot.

the rest should be managable...

I've got a case of blackbrushalgae, (at least not as horrible as black beard). but its under control, cutting off leaves where I see it and picking up gravel where its grown on.

also caused by overfeeding beefheart...anyway, no more beefheart in my fridge and not getting anymore..heh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh yeah, and you can live without BBA if you quarantine/sterilise new plants.

my current outbreak of bba is because I dumped new plants from teo's directly into the tank without doing my standard KNO4 bombing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i started planted tank less than a yr ago and yes algae is a problem. but thanks to forumers here for the tips and plants, my 2 ft aquarium is doing very well the last few weeks ... and no fish casualty !

Special thanks go to Juggler who gave me some floating plants ... riccia, frogbit and hornwort to absorb the nutrients in the water .... green algae is never a problem to me so it's ok. bba has been reduced drastically. i do have some minimal bba among some fine-leaved plants but they are ok. i just use a wooden chopstick (those disposable type) and comb through the plants and they stick to it !

Among the floating plant ... hornwort is the best. It grows beautifully (mine sometimes look like a tree overhanging over plants ) and unlike riccia, it seems to have resistance to bba as it never got infected with algae even in some dimmer corner.

Some green algae is okay ... even those moss-like green one as it indicates your aquarium is healthy.

Basic guidelines to algae control ... don't overfeed your plants ! Control those fertilizer (use half of amount recommended) and food to the fish. Lots of fast growing plants liek hornwort during the initial stage to adsorb the nutrients (even plain water without fish has nutrients in trace elements). Once the other slower plants estb themselves, you can remove or reduce those fast growing plants.

my 2 cents worth.

Feedback Score
    Thanks folks for the advise and comments!

Now, I don't feel too bad about the algae problem that I been having lately. They aren't really ruining the whole planted tank experience. Like so many of you said - algae will always be in a planted tank and it's just a matter of to what degree.

Just that my initial reaction after I came back from my 2 weeks work trip was - ALGAE, YIKES! Now, thanks to you folks, I'm at peace with the algae.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/15/2002 2:37:22 PM
    Basic guidelines to algae control ... don't overfeed your plants !

----------------
    Don't overfeed PERIOD! including fishes [:0]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica