Thread: CO2 - KH - pH values

Feedback Score

CO2 - KH - pH values

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello folks,

My fishes are behaving a little strangely - not dying but exhibit rapid breathing movements. So, I check the water parameters.

The ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0. pH value is about 6.8 and relatively stable at this level. KH value is about 3.5 degrees dKH or about 62.65 ppm KH. A handful of crushed corals are in my canister filter. Results derived from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc test kits.

If I understood correctly, the KH / CO2 level is too high. For a planted tank, I should have something in the range of 20 ppm KH. I've lowered the bubble count to 2.5 - 3 bubbles per second. Raised the CO2 level slightly few days ago because I don't see nice bubbles on the plants.

Should I remove the crushed corals and lower the bubble count even further? Please advise if I'm doing something incorrectly.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i doubt it's the co2
    4dkh and pH 6.8 sounds very healthy
    check if you have something decomposing in your tank, that could burn up the oxygen in the water
    your filter, too, could have decomposing material

Feedback Score
    DEA,

There is nothing decomposing in the tank. Did a water change 2 days ago and siphoned most of the stuff lying on the gravel bed. Will check my cansiter filter in the next couple days.

So, 2 to 3 bubbles per second should be okay for a 3.5 feet tank, right? CO2 runs through a Taiwan made reactor - the one with three reactor balls.

Saw the plants that are available for sale in NA bubbling rather nicely. Wonder why I don't see this in my tank.

My tank gets about 3 watts per gallon of lights. Thought the increase in CO2 output would achieve the desired effect but none so far. My anubias bubbled a while back but I heard it may be due to an opening on the plant and not photosynthesis.

I understand that the 3 essentials are lights, CO2 and fertilizer. I got all of these, at least I think they are present. What else can I do to achieve good plant growth and photosynthesis (and the bubbling effect).

Cheers,
    Roy