Thread: Planted Tank Tragedy

Feedback Score

Planted Tank Tragedy

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear Forumers,

Before, I begin my tragedy story, I would like to wish all a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

On the 1/1/2002 (New Year), at 3am in the Morning, there was a loud 'sound of glass split' in the living room, I was awaken my the lound high pitch sound of the glass splitting. I woke up and to my Horror, the water is spraying out from the 'curvature' of the side of the tank like a water Hose ! (My is a 3 Feet Tank, PENTAS, Front 2 sides is curve). The 'straight' crack starts from the top of the tank to the bottom of the tank (Vertically down)and the split is about 0.5cm ! So, you can imagine my whole family have to clear about 150L of water from the living room. As a result, some Yamotoes, Malayan Shirmp, Otos, Golden Tetra died as a result of shock and being suck out by the pressure of the water when half of the body is being torn away when the fish is stuck at the split of the glass !! Gosh ! It is really like a nightmare ! All my effort are gone !!! In the morning, I bought another 3 Feet Tank from Nature Aquarium and restart all over my planted tank from scratch again Finally, I completed my new tank at 3.am in the morning of 2/2/02.

Just a word of advise to all buying tanks and to prevent another disaster from happening, try NOT to buy the 'Pentas' brand tank with a curvature at the front 2 sides of the tank, the Boss from Nature told me that this tank is propably from Indonesia and the Thichness of the 'Tampered Glass' is only 0.5mm thick, even at the bend sides of the tank.

Marlin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow poor thing , feel sorry for you.
    Nevermind at least its over laio , got your new 3ft

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i had the same experience except it was with a 4ft tank
    you'll get over it fast
    mine was at 3am too ^ ^
    could just about see the dollar signs above the fish when deciding which ones to save first

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow! sad to hear that and make me woory too.
    My 3Ft is also 5mm glass but it is not curve at both side.
    It's the normal type with silicon gel at all sides.
    Poor joint with most proably have water leakage at that area
    What make a glass crack? Water Pressure? Poor quality glass?
    []
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As I understand, tempered glass can break if you hit the corner of it. That is how the glass workers break unwanted tempered glass.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to hear that!

Good thing no one was hurt...and you managed to setup a new tank... That's enthusiasm!
    Regards,
    James
    Harmony Within

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/2/2002 1:37:38 PM

As I understand, tempered glass can break if you hit the corner of it. That is how the glass workers break unwanted tempered glass.

----------------
    Erh... to be more exact, all glass will shatter if you hit it hard enough. The main difference with tempered glass is that it will not splinter when shattered. Thus it is safer.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Erh... to be more exact, all glass will shatter if you hit it hard enough. The main difference with tempered glass is that it will not splinter when shattered. Thus it is safer.
    ----------------
    Tempered glass does not break easily when hit by a force perpendicular to its plane and when it does break, it shatters into tiny bits and does not splinter. But it will break easily, when hit on the corner by a force along its plane, shatter or splinter I don't know (my impression from the source of this info is that it will splinter).
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Wow [:0] What an experience to spend your New Year Day....and best of all setup another new one within a day [:0] . If for my case, my wife will surely ask me to quit fishkeeping [] []

Anyway, glad that no one is hurt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi Marlin,

tltan here
    sad to hear that man
    but u are really fast as to set it up all over again within a day! luckily Nature never rest on New Year's Day..

Good luck on this new Tank

Regards,
    tltan

Feedback Score
    Like what they always said in chinese > Old one don't go, new ones don't come.
    BTW how long had you been using that Pentas brand tank?
    sometimes i also woory that are those silicon joints at the corner of the tanks can tar-han the pressure of water in it.

Rest in Peace....[]

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Marlin,
    My heart goes to u! but i must say, u are either a zombie which require hardly sleep after cleaning up the mess or a complete fish devoutee..[] however, to u, i salute!!! for being able to set up the entire tank within a day!!! If this incident happened to me, the entire furniture in the house will be ruin by the saltwater!!! and i will not be able to duplicate your feat!.. it deserved to be mentioned in the Guinness book of record!!!.. [].
    I figure it could be water pressure that cracked the glass.. i presume your new tank is a rectangular type?
    Kelvin
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Woah, really "jialat"!!!

Marlin or others, may I know where will I get to see this Pentas brand tank so that in future I will know if I see them again.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    was this like the first post of aq...zzzZzz