Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy idea for aquarium chiller?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Crazy idea for aquarium chiller?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys, I have a sudden crazy idea.

We could use the Computer Water Cooler concept. Passing the water thru a radiator to cool down the water. Just getting a cheap radiator at Sim Lim Square and most of the radiator units built for pcs can allow water to pass thru for cooling.
    Dunno if it sound good or not, I try when my house renovation is done.
    Will be setting up a new tank by next April.
    Anyone got a good substrate to recomand??
    ADA aquasoil Amazonia?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cool down at room temperature??
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    will not work for aquarium cooling.
    works for pc because the cpu runs hot 70~100+ deg c. there is a significant temperature differential between ambient air and cpu cooling water.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm the temperature would be lower maybe around 20 - 22, you could modify it with a flow adjuster, and it depends on the flow rate of the water.

Because my pc runs hot at around 45-50 degrees , using that method i bought it down to around 36-40 degrees
    So maybe if we play around with the flow rate

And another way is to get a smaller radiator? I'm only suggesting the use of raidiators, it will cool down the water to quite a fair bit

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi bro..dont think it will work..the water come out from the radiator dont cool down fast..

just like a small chiller for a big tank,it also dont cool the big tank to the temperture you want..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm, well just a crazy idea as i said.

I know it be dumb to get a huge radiator but I'm just suggesting a DIY chiller, you also can play around with the idea of using Peltier cooling, which some computer cooler uses to bring it down by alot, almost a 20 degree difference.I know of a few types of gadgets that uses this radiators, like example, fridge, air-con, car engine, and yes they are all huge radiators but a normal fish tank we only want to bring the temperature to a maintainable one.(Tropical Fishes) And not going to freeze the tank ya?

That's why I suggested this idea.

This can be an idea to play around with and it is not as expensive as those chillers out there. Cos I have a friend who bought a chiller for a few hundred bucks just to bring the temp down to 2-7 degrees and maintain it which I think is silly.
    I'm just finding a cheaper alternative.
    Last edited by heeroyu16; 23rd Aug 2006 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can only cool it down to room temperature. Put the tank in an aircon room mayb a better solution

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mate.. I'm interested in making my own DIY Chiller with TEM technology as well..

One of the problems I'm facing is that my room is extremely hot. So putting a real chiller in would be disastrous cause I'll be getting cool water at the outlet but warm water everywhere else.. haha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    again, for radiator, doesn't it cool to room temperature only? even if your PC is running at 50 degrees, it can only cool it to 30 degrees. same goes for cars, being cooled with the flow of air of the surrounding.

well, ride on your crazy idea!
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    er bro...

With TEM technology, we can get lower than room temperature.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by firethorn
    With TEM technology, we can get lower than room temperature.
    Ahem ... technically, you can't. Even TEM can't get over the laws of physics: energy (heat is an energy, too) doesn't just disappear magically. On the contrary: You even put more energy in by powering the device. All TEM allows you is to transfer heat energy, i.e. to cool one side down in the same amount the other side warms up. In practice, this allows you to cool one part (the fish tank) under ambient temperature while the other part (the counterpart on the outside) warms up the same amount over ambient temperature.

But I think what the guys actually wanted to say is: Any cooling based on air ventilation is limited to the temperature of the air.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ankank
    Ahem ... technically, you can't. Even TEM can't get over the laws of physics: energy (heat is an energy, too) doesn't just disappear magically. All TEM allows you is to transfer heat energy, i.e. to cool one side down in the same amount the other side warms up. In practice, this allows you to cool one part (the fish tank) under ambient temperature while the other part (the counterpart on the outside) warms up the same amount over ambient temperature.

But I think what the guys actually wanted to say is: Any cooling based on air ventilation is limited to the temperature of the air.
    huh? TEM can't get temps lower than ambient temperatures?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by firethorn
    huh? TEM can't get temps lower than ambient temperatures?
    If you take the whole TEM apparatus and sum it up: no.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So to say that using TEM or radiator will not enable it to go below ambient temp... hmm nvm just a crazy idea

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    TEM is able to cool down ambient temp, but u will need good heatsink and fan, and the most impt is that u are only cooling a small volume of water. And also must sure that ur equipments (eg. pumps, filters) in the water are not producing too much heat.
    the cost of building a TEM is just not worth it, I will rather get a chiller if I am having a 2ft and above tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bslong
    TEM is able to cool down ambient temp, but u will need good heatsink and fan, and the most impt is that u are only cooling a small volume of water. And also must sure that ur equipments (eg. pumps, filters) in the water are not producing too much heat.
    the cost of building a TEM is just not worth it, I will rather get a chiller if I am having a 2ft and above tank.
    agreed....

but for a small tank it just might be..

I think with proper cooling fans and etc, a TEM is able to cool down the water temp to below ambient temperatues. It's quite obvious actually. Depending on the capacity for the Temp Difference between both sides and the effective heat dissipation on the other side, I'd think it's quite possible.

Think ankank was thinking we were only gonna use the TEM by itself.. haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I doubt TEM can cool down below room temperature. The only way to cool down to below room temperature is either to use an air con or a chiller.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    TEM can cool below ambient temperature for sure. But to have TEM to cool a 2ft or bigger than it's not efficient. As in the power it use compare with the cooling abilities we are usually better off getting a compressor chiller.

I think one of our forum members Xtrekker and Silane has done some comparison and cooling capabilities of TEM based chiller with charts. Search for their nick the thread will likely be found.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    even some of the chiller is using TEM..

agreed with spinex..

cost and power intake compare to a chiller..i think it is wise to get a chiller..
    unless you going for the trill of diy..or the tank size is too small for a chiller

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by heeroyu16
    So to say that using TEM or radiator will not enable it to go below ambient temp... hmm nvm just a crazy idea
    hi bro may i know what is the temperature you wanted in mind?

by the way i am also trying out..just for the trill who knows.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast