Country
    Singapore

Exclamation H.C [Cuba] Help!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello reader...

My H.C cuba attached to the rocks are starting to flood upwards. Meaning,they are going to be dis-attached from the rocks i've tied them to.
    Now, i've seen HC as groundcovers/foreground plants, i'm inspired to do that too.

can you please teach me what to use or how to attach them so that i can put them onto the soil? they are still very healthy.

It would be helpful for me if you could provide me a link of how to do it and by using what material, i can do it.

I think of those wire mesh, but where can i buy it? i only manage to buy the green coloured ones from C328. And they are light. Cannot bury into the soil.

I thought of finding a flat wood/stone, so that i could tie the H.C to it and bury it into the soil. Is this a good idea? please please help me...

Thanks a lot,
    Alvin

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This reader also have failed in keeping HC crawling on substrate. I realise that HC needs to root to something before they can start to creep. The driftwood or rochs that they come tied onto does not give the roots any place to grow into, and in time, the sod will become dislodged IME.

HC needs lots of light, fert and CO2, I'm told.

I've made this observation: a 50cent sod of HC left floating on the surface of my high tec tank, can grow to cover the area the size of 2 $2 bills in the span of 1 month. But this same tank, cannot grow any HC on the gravel without it getting yellow, and dislodged from the planting (I've tried inserting individual stems into the gravel as well as planting whole sods with the earth into the gravel).

I believe this tank has sufficient light (2 x 36W D-80K PLL or 11 WPG), sufficient temp 25deg C, sufficient fert both in water (as the floating HC grow so quickly) and in substrate (Ferka, root monsters, laterite,) and certainly CO2 can't be deficient (4dkH, 6pH = 120ppm).

In truth, I've been able to get HC to crawl on the substrate BUT ONLY when I grow them outdoors in direct sunlight under 2-inches of water. In this case, grown on only ADA amazonia, It creeps and covers the gravel within a month. No CO2 added, only dose KNO3 generously in the 2nd half of the month as the urea in the aquasoil wears off and the leaves start to yellow. Water temperature can hit a hot 40deg C or more (Thermometer range exceeded) at mid day, and the HC is bubbling away!

But when I transplant the sods complete with soil into my high tec tank, they don't adapt and will yellow and float within the month.

So what gives? Perhaps other readers who have been unsuccessful like me can share your experiences too so we can know what not to try. I find that HC is just too enigmatic. Those who succeed say it needs high light, heavy feeding and CO2. Others (like tropica claim it makes few demands) and I can see that in my outdoor puddle of water in the sun. So what's the real HC's requirements?

Apologies for the lengthyness.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello GaspingGurami

I do know the reason why when you transplant the HC from outside[Land]
    to totally submerged, the leaves turned yellow. You can read from here.
    Scroll down to the last reply by stepheus. He explains about why the leaves turned yellow.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=22887

About HC, mine is still doing well. Now, the thing is, i want to know, is it a epipyte like java moss, christmas moss which needs an object[wood,stone] to grow.

i just came back from C328 asking the lady boss if it can be grown in soil, she said no. She said it's tied onto something. 0.o
    You know, C328 is a buzy place... she can't be bothered to even answer some things.

So, what should i do now? tie H C to where?

Alvin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Alvin, hope this thread can help you as much as possible on Hemianthus callitrichoides.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...allitrichoides

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah zhan:

Hihi ah zhan... that site didn't really help me.. I want to know, can HC be grown in the lapis sand? or i can attach it like mosses, on the rocks?

Now, i've tied the HC to green plastic mesh. I've really got big problems.

1. Tank is filled with soil and once i disturb the sand a bit, everything will come up.

2. There are about 100+ shrimps [big and small] in my tank; got difficulty[due to the cloudiness of water if i disturb the soil] to remove them out and give THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED!!

3. H.C is tied to the green plastic mesh and its density is lighter than water.. it floats please help !!

4. I'm really freaky stressed about the whole tank!

Reader, can you please answer and help me in those 4 problems i have?
    I hope you can help me solve the 3rd problem as i can proceed from there.

Anything replied will be greatly appreciated.

Alvin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by scotworm
    I want to know, can HC be grown in the lapis sand? or i can attach it like mosses, on the rocks?
    HC can be grown in the lapis sand, they won't attached like moss IMO.

1. and 2.) Reduce water level for a better convenience in catching shrimps and planting HC.

3.)Plant HC directly into soil/substrate-- shovel one small clump into the substrate, bury some of the leaves to act as anchorage. Removal of shrimps is recommended so HC can tak roots and grow more smoothly without being uprooted easily.

4.)Chill bro, if HC fails...you can try moss lawn instead ? confirm can tie to mesh and will grow easily.

regards,
    zhan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    All right ah Zhan,

Thanks a lot , a lot. I've tied the HC to green plastic mesh liao.

Shrimps still inside the tank, about 50-80+ of them, in my 1 feet tank 0.o
    It's really crazy. they really breed like crazy if given a very densely planted tank, a lot of hideout places. Ahhh.. now my HC is done. I will scoop up all my shrimps soon.

How much can i sell? If anyone interested, please tell me. Inside, there are really about 50-80++ shrimps.. red cherry shrimps..

Alvin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Alvin,
    you might want to post your item for sales at the Marketplace section

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by scotworm
    I do know the reason why when you transplant the HC from outside[Land]
    to totally submerged, the leaves turned yellow. You can read from here.
    Scroll down to the last reply by stepheus. He explains about why the leaves turned yellow.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=22887Alvin
    Umm... Alvin, my HC are planted Submersed (Under water) under sunlight. It shouldn't need to convert when transplanted indoors, but somehow mine doesn't like growing under PL lights. I will try them under the brighter T5 lamps to see how they like it. BTW, Emersed (above water) grown HC can be identified by the smaller leaves compared to Submersed grown HC.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8