Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Novice

Feedback Score

Novice

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have been contemplating to setup a marine tank and have a few questions to ask. (Convertion from 2ft FW)

1. Can I use my existing Fluval 203 canister filter?
    2. Where can I find a cheap protein skimmer and what type since I don't have an overflow filter?
    3. Do I need a chiller if I intend to keep invertebrates?
    4. I noticed some lay crushed corals on the bottom level b4 adding live sand. Is this one of the right ways?

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1. Can I use my existing Fluval 203 canister filter?
    yes u can.. but pls change the filter media.. coz the bacteria are different.. and wash the canister cleanly if u had used medication for your tank b4..and then run the filter in saltwater to acclimise the filter, just remember the nitrogen cycle.. it is very impt
    2. Where can I find a cheap protein skimmer and what type since I don't have an overflow filter?
    u can consider using ORCA.. it is the cheapest ever.. u can get them from petmart.. can range from $25++ but u need a airpump to go along
    3. Do I need a chiller if I intend to keep invertebrates?
    depending on what invertebrates u are keeping and the temp u are able to sustain the tank
    4. I noticed some lay crushed corals on the bottom level b4 adding live sand. Is this one of the right ways?
    live sand?? what is that...unless u talking abt coral sand.. then the depth of it can varies from individuals..
    btw, welcome to the dark side..and on behalf of the moderators in AQ, welcome... []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

----------------
    [/quote]

Hie,
    If you're talking about size differences in the grains, then for deep sand bed I don't think it's important - utilisation of coarser substrate on the bottom layer and finer ones at the top are actually recommended more for those using plenum systems. The coarser sand at the bottom layer, in this case, might act as a deterrent for the sand from being disturbed, which can upset the almost-anoxic conditions used in the lower portions of a plenum system.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    u are welcome.. any other queries, just post..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.