Country
    United_States

Repairing plexiglass

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,

Is it possible to repair a scratch on plexiglass? If yes, how?

Thank you,
    cmax916

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    Scratches in acrylic can be "polished" away using sand paper. Basically you take off the surrounding of the scratch and work your way down to really fine sand paper which then has a polishing effect. There are special kits containing medium to very fine sand paper for this purpose (google for Micro-Mesh) as the really really fine ones needed to get a clear instead of a milk glass effect are hard to find at the DIY store.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Hi ankank,

The thought of using sand paper to polish sounds scary already. Have you done this before? I am just wondering what the outcome is like?

Thanks,
    Max

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    I have done it before on acrylic (not on a tank, tho). It works out just fine if you get the right polish. I use the term "sand paper" but don't picture a sand paper as rough as the one used to grind down wood or such. Rather picture the polishing side of a nail file's surface.

You need the really fine "polishing" sand paper for the finish, which is sold in acrylic polishing kits. You could also use polishing paste (which basically is very fine liquid sand paper), but I am hesitant to recommend it in an aquatic environment due to its ingredients.

Edit: This is how it can be done. It shows the frosting effect which will disappear with polish later in the process.
    Last edited by ankank; 6th Sep 2006 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I forgot to mention the scratch is on the exterior of the tank. Thanks for the link, I appreicate it.

thanks,
    Max