Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Stainless steel or plastic mesh?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Stainless steel or plastic mesh?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi AQ folks,

I been using a SS mesh which i bought from a LFS, tie it some moss and stuck in on the glass with white plastic suckers. Over some months, i notice my white plastic sucker turn into rust colour, i tried scrubbing it but the colouration just maintains. I know SS should not rust or the least wont rust that bad. I inspected the mesh and its looks fine with my moss growing nicely to form a lawn or wall.

Question is, how come my white plastic suckers are stained? and if this will influence to my flora or fauna or water conditions? Is having some rust in tank water very bad?

Should i switch to plastic mesh instead? anyone got the pros and cons on these 2 types of mesh?

Please share your experience, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what's SS? stainless steel?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i have been using stainless steel wire mesh bought from both hardware shops and LFS, til now did not find any rust. or how you actually attached the mesh? if the SS mesh is not badly or not affected, perhaps change the plastic suckers.tried finding those plastic mesh, but most of it unable to sink like SS mesh.

Like Hii, he using those tank divider which have holes for his moss wall, can consider.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Many people have the misconception that stainless steel do not rust. The short answer is, they will and they do. But that is usually due to an accumulation of certain substances on the steel surface over time. That is the reason why you are encouraged to scrub your kitchen stainless steel basins. Stopped scrubbing for a week or 2 with regular use and some areas are likely to see rust forming. But in the case of the stainless steel mesh in the tank, I would think the tying of the mesh, the water flow across the mesh etc will affect the 'ability' of the stainless steel mesh to rust. A good water flow across the moss wall is also good to prevent unsightly algae growth or accumulation of fish poo.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all for the comments.

For sure SS will rust esp such low grades, anything with iron will be subjected to such corrosion. But my concern is that its in my water, the rubber suckers i bought were all white/clear, i dont have any photos of it, maybe will take some later.

Im more worried that its the water that stains the rubber suckers, and if this would lead to any ill effect to my fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the water is staining the suckers, I don't see any ill effects that would have on the fish...

Even if the stain is from the rust, I also don't see any ill effects...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, i guess rust is also in our running taps, and we drink it everyday.

Anyway, heres a pic of it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssur

Yeah, i guess rust is also in our running taps, and we drink it everyday.

Anyway, heres a pic of it.
    Could be brown algae....
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks more like brown algae too...

And your sucker does not seem to be in contact with the mesh... Anyway, that would be one of the last things I would worry about in my tank...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo
    Could be brown algae....
    Good point! It's very difficult for your cleaning crew to reach these places and the surfaces are not flat.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I hope its brown algae, but then again i think its not.

I have another similar rubber sucker, holding my digital thermometer, and it has no signs of anything brown or brownish. Only the 3 suckers that i use for my 3 SS wire mesh.

But anyways, i also dont think its serious, just curious about this.