Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dying cardinal tetras!!! Help!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just return back from camp... found three dead bodies from in my tank last night.. then two more cardinal isolating itself from the rest. i found some white spot on it and noticed that the mouth open and close at a very fast speed. Think the fish got trouble in breathing. May i know how to cure it before more casualties arrives? thanks bro...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Try the cheapest way, quarantine all of them in a container, add fish salt (dose : 1 teaspoon / litre water) for 30 minutes max.
    You can search this method from the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by kendrick_86
    Just return back from camp... found three dead bodies from in my tank last night.. then two more cardinal isolating itself from the rest. i found some white spot on it and noticed that the mouth open and close at a very fast speed. Think the fish got trouble in breathing. May i know how to cure it before more casualties arrives? thanks bro...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kendrick,
    The likely culprit would be Ich, aka whitespots. Try waterlife protozin quite effective against the outbreak but do take note of the medication's dosage regime which is spread out over a week.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    First, set up an isolation/hospital tank. Fish out those afflicted cardinals. Use Protozin to treat them, like what Michael has suggested. Apart from treatment, do some tank maintenance and clean out the filters. The problem with ich is that it returns back frequently when treatment is incomplete or when water conditions are poor.

Tanks that have had a problem with ich should be fish free for at least a week during which the tank itself is treated with the medication.

The parasite itself has several stages in its life cycle, so the tank should remain fish free during the treatment period. This prevents the parasites from re-infesting other fishes in the tank.

My personal choice of medication would be Sera Costapur, but Protozin works just as well. Good luck.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.