Images
    Country
    Singapore

no more yeast for me

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    OK, I'm giving up my DIY CO2 system (can only get 0.5 bubble per sec)

I am interested to get a small pressurised CO2 system. Small because room is limited and I don't have a cabinet under the tank (80x45x30). I like the look of the ADA system but I have some questions:

Is the cannister rechargeable? Any idea how long it will last? If disposable any idea how much the replacement will cost? Also I notice it doesn't have a solenoid which means I cannot turn off the flow at night to save the gas, yes?

Any other advise most welcomed, I just upgraded the lighting to 2x36W PL but the CO2 is a measly 0.5 bubble ps (even if I use 2 bottles its 1 bps), all the plants are suffering (even the Cambomba!) and the Malayan shrimps are even starting to eat my plants!

OK, sorry to have so many questions on my first post, but with all the experts around here I guess I will have more questions than contributions

thanx a bundle,
    hw
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i also getting another Co2 set hmm...maybe can meet up and go? i need to top up my the other Co2 tank meter at Zero...who free?? kekekeke
    Cheers!

Benetay

Maybe you should make sure the mixture (DIY CO2) is cool before you add the yeast last. If the mixture is warm or hot, it might kill off some yeast, thus less CO2 or even no CO2. I used to run on DIY CO2 with 1-2 bps for a start. The recipe is 350g sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, & 3/4 teaspoon yeast.

Now I have switch to a CO2 set, a 2.3l cylinder, regulator, solenoid, black tubing cost me about $216. At a rate of 1 bps, the CO2 set will last about 6 months and each top up varies from $10-$20.

My experience tells me that a CO2 set is worth the investment as you can see the difference in your plant growth.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well, don't you know. After asking a question you will immediately find the answers somewhere else []

Anyway got the answers I need in the "ChitChat" forum, now I'm not so sure about the ADA system, the cannister does look kinda small plus have to buy from the website (what's the shipping going to cost! assuming they don't get intercepted as bombs.

Any good physics/engineering student out there can figure out how long it will last given 74g of "content" at 60kgf/cm2 pressure, at a rate of say 2 bubble per sec (5mm diameter per bubble?) My physics already dekit 20 years ago liao

Acutally the ADA CO2 system looks damn cool and a steal at $180 (that's S$ right?), damn decisions, decisions, decisions...
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Actually i'm also very interested in getting the set at $180. But up to now there is still a few question haven't been solve which i had asked in chit-chat.
    i want to get a set for my another planted tank, but i really need to know how long can the cannister last.
    To what i know the promotion is ending soon... which means i must decide fast.
    And if the promotion is ending soon, does this mean i can't order the replacements cannister from Aquatic Quotient in the future?
    decisions, decisions, decisions...
    hwchoy, keep me update if you have further news on this ADA set, as it seems both of us is really interested, but not enough info to let us confirm.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    a) no matter size of canister, refill costs are the same, so to be cost efficient, get the bigger one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry guys, the canister you'll have to get direct from adagoods direct, as we don't have any stock
    as for how long it lasts
    my aluminium tank at the same pressure lasts for about 6mths and more
    if we estimate the volume of the ada cylinder at 1/5 of the aluminium tank
    than you get about 5 wks worth

Feedback Score
    i thought it is said that there is no refill for it.
    Anyway, we left one day to decide, hope to really get a answer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/3/2002 12:30:32 AM

Actually i'm also very interested in getting the set at $180. But up to now there is still a few question haven't been solve which i had asked in chit-chat.
    i want to get a set for my another planted tank, but i really need to know how long can the cannister last.
    To what i know the promotion is ending soon... which means i must decide fast.
    And if the promotion is ending soon, does this mean i can't order the replacements cannister from Aquatic Quotient in the future?
    decisions, decisions, decisions...
    hwchoy, keep me update if you have further news on this ADA set, as it seems both of us is really interested, but not enough info to let us confirm.

----------------
    Takashi, I thought the promo ends in Feb (of course unless the stock goes first). From what I gather, the cannister can ONLY be purchased from the net and this is priced at 15.62 Euro (around S$30) + shipping. No idea how much shipping will cost but it weighs 321g. Oh and this is for the basic version (ie no forest fragrance and iron supplement). I am seriously worried about it being detained in the mail (thanks to our friend Osama) as the cannister can really look right some interesting ordnance (esp through an Xray machine) [] []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi DEA,

your cylinder lasting for 6 months, at how many bubbles? I only have a very small tank (20 gallons) so probably need only 2-3 bps? Sounds like quite a logistic problem if it only last 5 weeks

one more question, what do we do with all the used cannisters? I presume we shouldn't dump them in the recycle bin at the MRT stations

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/2/2002 9:11:48 PM

Maybe you should make sure the mixture (DIY CO2) is cool before you add the yeast last. If the mixture is warm or hot, it might kill off some yeast, thus less CO2 or even no CO2. I used to run on DIY CO2 with 1-2 bps for a start. The recipe is 350g sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, & 3/4 teaspoon yeast.

Now I have switch to a CO2 set, a 2.3l cylinder, regulator, solenoid, black tubing cost me about $216. At a rate of 1 bps, the CO2 set will last about 6 months and each top up varies from $10-$20.

My experience tells me that a CO2 set is worth the investment as you can see the difference in your plant growth.

----------------
    David, your 2.3l cylinder how big is it? and does it have to remain standing or can I put it horizontally?

As to your recipe, I didn't use baking soda, does it help? I put tap water with icing sugar into an ex-JBL BioCO2 bottle, water temperature should be OK?

Feedback Score
    Oops, yeah it's Feb.
    Maybe we should just get 1 dozen of cannister in our purchase. So that it can last us for a year.
    1 dozen x $30 = $360

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bubbles?
    uh, hard to tell
    i don't use a bubble counter, but rather the one built into the eheim diffusor
    if we go by that, about 3~4 bubbles a second, for a 70g tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there are different sizes of C02 cylinders ard.. do check out brands like dennerle, JBL, dupla.. they have pretty small cylinders to suit yr needs...

as for the ADA C02 system, sorry, but we dun have the refill for the disposable cannister

Feedback Score
    Simon, Don't need to say sorry.
    i know you guys had already put in effort on this site. and of course getting some benefit for the members like this ADA products ( Although not many items).
    i'm sure we will see more range in the future.
    Maybe even like Ehiem products? hee hee...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    we will try our best but no promises []

For Eheim, you guys will have to liaise directly with Qianhu (as they're the local distributor) or direct with Eheim to import

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, we know

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I want to get the eheim sludge extractor...can get or not?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There are small normal steel tanks in the market which is quite suitable. But smaller means more frequent topping up.

If you don't mind the work, you can pout in another DIY bottle to get more CO2 injected in your tank. But I would still recomend to get a CO2 tank system. You won't regret it.....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast