Country
    Singapore

Samurai Gourami - Sphaerichthys vaillanti

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Got me 4 of these fishies from Azmi.

2 are dull and 2 are stunning with their colour changing stripes. They seem to have paired up, a "dull" to a "stunning" respectively.

Seems to me that the dull ones are male, as one of them have developed a lump in its throat.

What should I do next?

They're in a very densely planted tank, so I don't want to catch it out unless absolutely necessary, knowing the damage I'll do to the vegetation and wood in the process of catching these fish.

Any advise from the experts?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One of the bros here are keeping these fishes for quite a while, maybe he can help you out on this matter.....

I've kept these beauties for a short while.....very nice coloration and behaviour
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Try to catch the male in the darkness..takes 2, 3 weeks before releasing the fries.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mr Tree, this male is still feeding. Is it timely to catch it out now or later? Would I need to put the female in with the male?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Not mouthbrooding? Then just leave them alone. Many people can get them mouthbrood but don't come out anything.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 14th Sep 2006 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm first timer at these things. Don't know what mouth brooding looks like. Any picture that I can see?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 14th Sep 2006 at 09:34.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Can search Sphaerichthys vaillanti for more info on net.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Done that before asking, but have not been able to find any pictures of a vaillant mouthbrooding leh.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    labrynithes fish that mouthbrood? And all this while, I thought they were all bubble nesters. Is there any other of the same family that do mouthbrooding?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some bettas will mouth brood too...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks MrTree.

Mine is having that same reddish extension of the throat as the 5th picture. The more colourful female is very aggressive, chasing every gourami away, but ignore the rasboras. However, the male is still eating monia.

Is it possible to be mouthbrooding and yet be feeding?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My mouth brooding male didn't make it. It got stuck in the intake of the powerhead and drowned. Now the widow is not feeding

Are these fishes monogamous? Even if not, I don't seem to see these fishes lately to get her another mate. Sigh. Poor girl.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    quite sensitive fish
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    An update on the fate of my remaining pair and a half of Samurai Gouramies after a mouthbrooding male got stuck in the filter intake and drowned.

Initially, the widow refused food for 3-4 days. Then it tried to get close to the remaining male, but it's mate would not allow 3rd parties. There would be many flaring competitions between the girls which is beautiful to watch. The insulted lady, although much smaller in size is the spunkier of the 2 and the widow would eventually give up and skulk in another corner of the tank, only to try again later.

But the male seemed to show no interest to his new suitor.

The flaring eventually became body bumping and pecking, where the smaller lady will chase the amourous widow around the tank (who always seem to lose in the fights despite her superior size).

I decided to separate them the next day when I have more time as the fighting seem to get more violent (but I have to say I really liked the show of brilliant colours).

The next day was 1 day too late. I found the widow dried on the floor the next morning
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If it's any consolation, the LFS at Elias Mall have some nice male and female specimens, price is very reasonable.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw some at Biotope too. But I'm putting the purchase on hold for the moment to see what the remaining pair does in this 2ft tank. So far, I've noticed that the colours of the female is not as brilliant as the time when she has a competitor to quarrel with. Whereas, the male just have this "bo chup" attitude.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee