Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question Beginner's Question on Vivariums

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was at the Sept excursion to farms and was looking at the tanks in Qian Hu... Very tempted by the Vivariums Tank section. Those with Tau Hwa Chwee tub opening at the side kind... HOWEVER, the pics I see here are those of using only normal tank, with wire mesh as cover.

Anybody can tell me the difference, in terms of keeping, feeding etc. between using the "pro (?)" kind and the normal tank kind, if any?

Also, where to get frogs for keeping? I know of only those frogs that people feed arowanas (or big fish) with...

Saw Wild Ginger's sticky dated 1 year 3 months ago ... (heh heh...) ... will there be anymore Beginners Course/Workshop? ... Hopefully can get some insight on how to set up... All pictures (setup) I see here look so wild wild wild... so man-made natural, nice!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 14th Sep 2006 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The use of the 'pro' vivarium tanks is better for feeding and maintenance... The window allows for easy access. Thus comes the higher price tag.

However, a normal tank with a mesh for top is good enough. It all depends on your budget.

As for where to get frogs. Read up AVA's website. All frogs, with the exception of the Green Tree Frog, are not allowed to be kept as pets. Check this thread: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=15173

As for anymore workshops, that will depend on the schedule of Wild Ginger... I think he is very busy now as he is both working and studying full time. Perhaps when he reads this he can reply you.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if all frogs except green tree frogs are NOT allowed, then what do all of you keep?!?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I found my One-Eye among the baby bulls in the feeder bag. Someone then ID-ed it as either a reed frog or a yellow-bellied frog. So I am lucky. Take your time to look into the bags and sometimes you can find a couple of odd ones. I found another but One-Eye ate it for lunch one day...

Or wait for the LFS to bring in the tree frog.

But beware, the tree frog grows to 4" big.

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pardon me if I sound silly... I'm really new into aquariums and vivariums.. sorry..

If you say you found your One-Eye among the baby bulls in the feeder bag, meaning you buy those little things meant for the stomach of arowanas and big fishes? Then you 'scagenger hunt' among the bag and 'salvage' the odd ones?

So currently only the white tree frog and the green tree frog are for sold as pets... *sigh*...
    If you are keeping other frogs banned by AVA, then doesn't that make you break law?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Like the famous phrase in army: "You can do anything, but just don't get caught"...

Btw, there is only a green tree frog that is allowed by AVA currently... White's Tree Frog is ONE of the common names for the green tree frog, but discovered by someone called John White...
    Last edited by valice; 14th Sep 2006 at 16:19.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The White's Tree Frog = Green Tree Frog. That is the problem with using common names...

Technically, yes, it would be illegal to keep frogs not allowed by AVA...

But hey, mine was in a feeder bag... I just rescued it from being eaten...

And no, I did not buy the bag. Do NOT ever release bull frogs into our environment by purpose. I took the bag with One-Eye and asked Aunty to let me have One-Eye...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very cool... this really sound like a BIG boy's (girl's) game... more 'chim' than an aquarium, i suppose...

think i need to visit/read "vivariums" more often... if ever there is a beginner's workshop or whatever... please do keep me in the loop!

Thank you!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 14th Sep 2006 at 23:00.