Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My (soon-to-be) New Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, my name is Michael Pua, I just moved to Singapore two weeks ago for work. I used to be into planted tanks as a hobby in the Philippines (where I come from) but the exotic aquarium plants there are very hard to find. Glossostigma and riccia are non existent. I got mine from Hong Kong - but just did not have the time to maintain. After a while I got into Discus and lost the plants... but now that I am here, I think I have a lot more time to devote to (once again) starting up the hobby.
    Firstly - I need some help from locals who know where the good stuff can be bought - I'm in no hurry so I'd want to look around, canvass first before I buy anything. I'm living near Dhoby Ghaut as of the moment, are there any good sources of plants and tanks nearby? Also will need places for supplies as well. Would like to start small with something like a 60 to 80 cm tank. Is it advisable to buy those package tanks with the filter and everything in it or is it better (and cheaper) to buy piece by piece? And how much should the parts (lights, plants, fish, rocks, driftwood, chemicals, co2) all cost? If anyone could give me a general idea of the prices here, i'd really appreciate it! (wouldnt want to overpay, )

Thank you very much!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    NATURE AQUARIUM
    Blk 1, Thomson Road, #01-340,
    Balestier Hill Shopping Centre,
    Singapore 300001
    Tel: 62556051

Can try hop-by, just a few station from Dhoby Ghaut if you take mrt(public transport).
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ bolt66.
    Hope the link below can help you
    http://www.petfrd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71
    maybe u can also check the AQ marketplace and the equipment section

IMO, I think buying piece by piece is more expensive but it gives more flexibility.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Assuming you are going for a 60cm tank...

Lights: A good set shouldn't cost you more than $150. Average 70 plus imho. Not sure.
    Rocks and Driftwood: Variable prices.
    CO2: Total setup around $120 plus.

I'd go to a good LFS and describe my needs to the owner, he/she would be able to put together a good set of equipment for you to startup and give a discount.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'd recommend Nature Aquarium(for equipment) along Thomson road and Colourful Tropical Aquarium((for plants)next to Nature aquarium).
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks a lot you guys for your warm welcome and immediate and helpful response. Hope its open on sunday! Am all excited to go looks like my wallet is going to take a beating

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Went to Nature Aquarium and Sam's Aquarium today. Bought a 28liter tank, the dimensions are (around) 24 x 12 x 12. Bought JBJ substrate nutrient, atop sand, atop white marble chips (actually the marble chips were a mistake, I thought they were beach sand, when I got home I was surprised the color was white as snow); a 27w light, an outside hanging filter, a CO2 setup (very cheap at $55), 2 pcs driftwood and lots of plants! Also couldnt resist buying 10 Yamato shrimp but I think they're not gonna last long.... too excited! Poor shrimp!

Also bought some seachem ferts... Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium and the trace elements.

I'm going to need some help in identifying my plants... The only one I know for sure is Java moss, bought some plants that look like cabomba but are red, and some others are pink. The storekeeper at Sam's didnt know their names... I'll be looking around the forums to identify them.

Question... is it ok to have an outside filter that is bringing water flow along the surface of the tank while I have a CO2 diffuser? Will the water flow render the diffuser useless? Also does anybody else use ice to cool down their water as mine was really hot awhile ago for no other reason I could see except for the light.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The outside filter will remove some of your CO2. But nevermind, you just have to increase your CO2 input more to offset the loss. Try to minimise the splashing of water from the outside filter.

The light is the usual cause for temperature increase. We don't use ice; we usually use fans. Computer fans. Other priviledged ones use chillers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Squee do you play M:TG?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to But nevermind... don't chat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry does anyone know where to buy glossostigma? and how much does it cost?
    Also how do you convert liters to US Gallons?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bolt66, firstly welcome to AQ!
    as for glosso, you could actually gotten them when you were at NA, the Colour Aquarium(a few shops next to NA have them, i used to buy from there too)
    Here's the link, for you to do the convertion
    http://www.arofanatics.com/articles....ent=calculator

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bolt66
    Sorry does anyone know where to buy glossostigma? and how much does it cost?
    Also how do you convert liters to US Gallons?
    Hi,

Have you used the in house, AQ Calculator? Right on the top right, it's darn useful i say!