Country
    Singapore

Using non-standard short forms for discussion

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all

It seems that whilst discussing on the beloved dwarf cichlids, there is a tendency to start using short forms (non-standard) for fish names. As proper naming conventions are strongly encouraged in AQ, I would like to take this opportunity to encourage those who uses these short forms to start using the full name of the fish for discussion.

Using such short forms are mainly colloquial, and not encouraged. They tend to keep others out of a discussion, as some people might either not know what was going on or think they are being excluded with special terms used amongst those in a group.

I have listed a few Apistogramma species related short forms commonly used in this forum, for the benefit of thosen who didn't understand:

Apisto – Apistogramma
    Ap. – Apistogramma (which is the wrong representative, anyway)
    A. - Apistogramma
    Juru – juruensis
    Tri – trifasciata
    Caca – cacatuoides
    Eli – elizabethae
    aga - agassizii
    bita – bitaeniata

I would, again, like to strongly encourage the dropping of those colloquial and seemingly AQ recognised short forms.

Also, avoid the use of the short form ‘sp.’ and ‘spp.’ for ‘species’. The term 'sp.' is to be used to represent the word 'species' ONLY when used in scientific names... Similarly, the term ‘spp.’ would be used to represent ‘many/other species’ ONLY when used in scientific names. An example, 'You can use the Hyphessobrycon amandae as a dither fish for your Apistogramma agassizii, or any other small [i]Hyphessobrycon spp.[/ i], for that matter'

Similarly, even the 'A. xxx' should be used ONLY after a 'Apistogramma xxx' or 'Apistogramma yyy' term had been used before in the same document/conversation/topic/page etc... Such as ‘ The Apistogramma agassizii is a beautiful fish, much like the A.elizabethae.’. First time use of the genus name should always be spelt out fully.

Thus, for example, use Apistogramma agassizii or A. agassizii and avoid using just ‘aga’.

You can check out this link (http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=17761) for naming conventions. More links will be provided when available.

Together we can bring up the standard of AQ.

Thank you.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, by the way, this is not to stop or hinder your discussions. Just a note to keep in mind during your discussions.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...