Country
    Singapore

Question about Xmas Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Sigh!
    ANyone can help me? very upset to see my xmas moss not growing fine.
    what's the best condition in order for my xmas moss to grow.
    this is what i encountered: i grow them on a driftwood. it grows very little, turn brown and then green again (notice some growth a couple of weeks ago) and now it's turning brownish again.
    so what can i do to make it grow really nice. the condition of my xmas moss is that it is so skinny, like only a skeleton, no leaves sprouting
    []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    one imprt condition for xmas moss will be low temp. I suspect the job of yr shrimps that leaves those moss only to their skeleton... they r slow growers to start with, but once they r stable.. there shldnt be much prob

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ya.. xmass moss need low temp to grow well.. and strong light to get to the shape of a xmass tree.. however low light can also survive provide the temp is low said sround 28deg below..
    cheers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I on the aircon, check the temperature every 2 hours, add ice cubes to lower temp to 26C, will this help in making my xmas grow? bought abit of xmas moss from Nature today, did a small piece for side wall.. afraid will not grow.

just to let you know what i did:
    all along i had my overhead filter water outlet jus above my xmas moss. will the dirt or the water that flows out from the filter cos my moss not able to grow properly? is there too much ammonia? is it necessary to test ammonia.

last night i switched off my filter and on water pump (slow small bubbles),. the next morning i discovered A LONG FLAT RED WORM crawling out of the gravel and up on the tank surface... what's THAT? it's really GROSSSSSSS[] it's like a flatworm... it's very very reddish in colour... yuck!

please advice experts... thanks alot... u guys are a great help to me...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/21/2002 1:03:20 AM

Sigh!
    ANyone can help me? very upset to see my xmas moss not growing fine.
    what's the best condition in order for my xmas moss to grow.
    this is what i encountered: i grow them on a driftwood. it grows very little, turn brown and then green again (notice some growth a couple of weeks ago) and now it's turning brownish again.
    so what can i do to make it grow really nice. the condition of my xmas moss is that it is so skinny, like only a skeleton, no leaves sprouting
    []
    ----------------
    I believe its a leech. My tank is also infected with tons of leeches, is there any ways to get rid of them? I tried using puffer fish but they don't seem to like leeches, any way the puffer died after consuming 2 to 3 leeches. Can any one out there please advice on how to clear all these pest? Thanks a million in advance!
    [] []

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    but are they harmful? will it cause any harm to plants and fish? what causes it and what to do to prevent it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm afraid that if you clean your tank those leeches may come & attach to your hand and suck your blood without your knowledge, as for getting rid of them I am still open for advice.[] []

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yuck! it's so scary. this morning i tried to kill it and break into two and the two parts can still move... goodness, so scary. i think i had too much CO2 that's why it got to comee out for air

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [] By the way do you have any idea to clear these pest, if yes care to share?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No idea. what happened was i off my filter at night and only on the water pump with very light oxygenation and next morning i discovered this yucky thing crawling out, perhaps insufficient oxygen, will do the same tonight and see what will happen tmw.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've bought a big puffer to do the cleaning up, but it died after consuming 2 to 3 of those pesky blood suckers, as for the smaller puffers they avoid them like they saw some vampires, check with some of the aquarium shops but they have no idea of how to clearing these blood suckers, I'm being driven nuts by these blood suckers! Hope that someone out there can help.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are there so many of them? isn't it unslightly. another problem i have is tubifex worms in my gravel. think a few months back i fed my fish and some of them are not eaten and went into the gravel. it's a mistake to feed them with live food. now it's hard to get rid of them

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe these critters came with the plants, buy plants & you get leeches for free, when the lights are on you can see a lot of them crawling on the glass of the tank & on the plants, saw once that my rummy rednose had 1 attach to the side of its mouth. When lights out, oh you wouldn't want to look at the tank, its so disgusting with so many of them crawling all over the place.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    have you tried using shrimps to attack them?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tried before but not working, any other recommendation to clear these pest?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    geeze ... sounds like science fiction ! and using puffer and prawn to attack. how did leeches get into the aquarium in the first place ?? attached to some fishes ?

i know they are afraid of salt and venegar when out of the water. but in water ... i think anything that kills them will also kill the plants and fishes.

my advice isto clean out the entire tank. if possible destroy all fish and plant and restart. else just move fish (quarantine them) and get rid of the plants. and add in lots of salt to take them out before cleaning up the tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    perhaps can try fighting fish ~lol or gouraimi which likes to eat anything tat fits it's mouth. btw.. i does uses ice cubes to lower my tank's temp too. will be getting a double fan systems to cool it.

but in singapore, it is REALLY hard to lower temperature below 25-26... need more advise.. I'm suspecting that it's the temperature that retard growth for most moss...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    one imprt condition for xmas moss will be low temp. I suspect the job of yr shrimps that leaves those moss only to their skeleton... they r slow growers to start with, but once they r stable.. there shldnt be much prob
    yes yes, i had problem of voracious SAE's so do take them out if you do have any in tank. ate my weeping mosses to the skeleton...
    leeches? eeww...sure they are called leeches?
    i had pink flatworms before. they don't come out but seen them stuck to sides of plant root area. anyway what do these fellas eat? maybe starving them of their food?

would like to know too since i know they're burrowed in the tank somewhere. yuck.

gourami's may take it out as an idea...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i believe gouramis are the best way to rid your tank of the flatworm... if you ever consider shrimps, then only the MIGHTY glass shrimp can help, they have rather mean looking pincers.... and they do eat anything, i mean anything.... But gouramis esp. the pearl one i heard takes out a lot of these types of 'pest' some even take out snails... but be careful if you have shrimps you wanna keep
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia