Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Coral red pencilfish mass death

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just recently bought a coral red pencilfish about a week ago. Suddenly, all my other tank stable ones which have been me for most part of the year started to drop like flys My other fishes are still healthy, including the new coral red pencilfish. I have other very fragile fishes like weitzmani, clown killies, tiger oto, and disserneri in my tank and they are going really well. Can anyone tell me why is this happening to me. I think I got to start saving for another 3 pairs of coral red.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jungle-mania,
    My guess is that it could have brought back some viral disease( the new fish ) or corals are known to be extremely agrressive towards their own especially the males. Maybe a more detail observation is need here. I like the fish too but never have much luck with them.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    IMHO, this is not a fish for the beginners. I think even the advanced aquarist may be having difficulty keeping them.

Furthermore, I think some specimens that we are getting seem may be carrying some disease. So they are not too healthy to begin with.

I had a few which were bought over different periods and the longest one that managed to stay alive is 3 months.

I have read and re-read the article by Dr Karel Zahradka in PFK, but still can't figure out what is wrong. There is just something that I cannot put my finger on.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    coral red is known to fight their own kind until the last standing male
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    In my case, they didn't fight. They just lost colour and started dropping. Most of my coral red that have passed away had even survived large water change, dirty water, ph and temp shock, but they just couldn't stand the new guy literally. I heard from many LFS owners that they are not too keen on bringing in them as their DOA has been really bad. I beginning to suspect that this problem could be a global problem than one localised to our country alone. has anyone heard of anything on the other parts of the world?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    my coral pencil have been with me for more than 6months. started off with 10 now left 2. both male. living in a 2 feet cube. still looking for more but hard to find. they require very stable water parameters. try to get them to eat. once eating it'll be easier

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i've got 6 initially. but left with just 1 fat coral red now.
    they are really aggressive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a remedy for their agressiveness, get more 3 line pencilfish, the big ones are the best. my coral red used to flare in front of them, but the 3 lines couldn't care less.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    They need plenty of tank space if you do not want them to end up killing each other.

Very often, I noticed that the fishes in the LFS either have abrasions on their skins or are always near the top of the water column, breathing quite heavily.

The abrasions could either be due to injuries or some kind of infection. But their rapid breathing seems to indicate they are not very healthy at all.

Even for those that look healthy in the LFS, I suspect they are already carrying the infection which only shows up few months later. This is what I noticed in my fishes.

In any case, if anyone of you in interested, Biotope has some right now and the reds are pretty intense. Good luck.