Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Bubble like blister in my Emperor Tetra.. HELP!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Bubble like blister in my Emperor Tetra.. HELP!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My emperor tetra has a bubble like blister under his mouth and pectoral fin. It appears to be filled with fluid, gets bigger every day. It appears that there is a white reddish worm inside it. The tetra is very active and still eats consistently. I'm at a total loss as to what it is.. need help!

Do I have to put him to sleep?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Now the bubble like protrusion is filled with small white worms... AARGH HELP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    miss muddy, the kindest thing to do is put it out of it's misery, there is no cure i'm afraid.
    mick
    ps don't let it burst in the tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Muddy View Post
    Now the bubble like protrusion is filled with small white worms... AARGH HELP
    take it out!!! do not wait and cause any problem for your other livestock!!! stop feeding it!!! put it in a quarantine tank with suitable medication, which can be found in your local fish shops. if medication are so high priced that you can instead buy a new fish, i suggest you don't get the medication; instead try to heal it with salt treatment. add in aquarium salt to the quarantine tank. exact amount, i not too sure but you have to add in alot to kill the bad stuff. i'll try to check out a good quantity to add and let you know.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Armani.. do you know what it is?? If No.. then how come you can suggest treatment? IF yes.. are you sure salt can cure it?? i've had it before and it infected my entire tank...however, it only seemed to stick to the tetras. Nothing i tried cured it.. i would simply suggest miss muddy that you remove it with a net or a fish trap gently. Don't let the bubble burst.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    Armani.. do you know what it is?? If No.. then how come you can suggest treatment? IF yes.. are you sure salt can cure it?? i've had it before and it infected my entire tank...however, it only seemed to stick to the tetras. Nothing i tried cured it.. i would simply suggest miss muddy that you remove it with a net or a fish trap gently. Don't let the bubble burst.
    obviously its some sort of bacterial infection... of course the owner has to be careful not to burst the bubble and of course action has to be taken fast or else the owner's fish will have the same fate as your fish. when disease occur, immediate action has to be taken.

as for medication, the person can either choose to give specific medication if not he/she can try salt treatment. salt treatment has been used by many hobbyists all over the world to treat many many kinds of fish diseases. for me, salt treatment is always the first resort because it is cheap and usually works very well (except for terrible diseases like dropsy)...

so ya, i did not claim some treatment i do not know anything about or not experienced before, i'm just stating what the person might want to try out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    here are some articles which can be easily found over search engines...

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/salt.htm
    http://www.loaches.com/salt.html
    http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/salt.html

hope this helps...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by armani View Post
    obviously its some sort of bacterial infection... of course the owner has to be careful not to burst the bubble and of course action has to be taken fast or else the owner's fish will have the same fate as your fish. when disease occur, immediate action has to be taken.

as for medication, the person can either choose to give specific medication if not he/she can try salt treatment. salt treatment has been used by many hobbyists all over the world to treat many many kinds of fish diseases. for me, salt treatment is always the first resort because it is cheap and usually works very well (except for terrible diseases like dropsy)...

so ya, i did not claim some treatment i do not know anything about or not experienced before, i'm just stating what the person might want to try out.
    Its obviously a bacterial infection??? Well.. i have my doubts about that..honestly.. i dont think its bacterial.. if you've seen it you'd know.
    And salt.. well.. if you go that method miss muddy.. my bet is your fish will die first b4 you even remotely affect this host pest thats sucking the life out of it.
    i've tried it with this thing... you can try as well if you you're at your wits end.. but my personal opinion is that i doubt it'll be any good for this particular bugger.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    Its obviously a bacterial infection??? Well.. i have my doubts about that..honestly.. i dont think its bacterial.. if you've seen it you'd know.
    And salt.. well.. if you go that method miss muddy.. my bet is your fish will die first b4 you even remotely affect this host pest thats sucking the life out of it.
    i've tried it with this thing... you can try as well if you you're at your wits end.. but my personal opinion is that i doubt it'll be any good for this particular bugger.
    ok, just went to check out, wrong word used... actually it should be a parasitic attack... and salt treatment, do not have to worry much... your fish will not die... i have personally tried to treat my sick fish in saturated salt solution without food for more than 5 days. no problem at all. so ya, this is just my experience...

you should only worry if your fish is those without scales or have soft 'skin" like a loach, that is when u have to take extra care.

do some search over the net, sure to find alot of sources...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ms Muddy,
    Sorry I couldn't come back to you earlier, I did some research but it was not conclusive. It seems the pathogen might not be single but also multiple parasites on a host, these fellas again some are fatal and some aren't. But most leads point to the group, Hemilith or something that sound like that. Will try to come back to you with the appropriate cause and treatment later. Till then, God speed.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am amazed by way you got this fish disease information from... *salute*
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    I am amazed by way you got this fish disease information from... *salute*
    Do not be, valice I had help from literature accumulated throught the years. Anyway, just helping out a fellow hobbyist.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ms Muddy,
    I may be wrong here but your description points to Helminth parasites. Anthelminthics are generally administered via food or medicated bath. Drugs include Levamisole, Mebendazole, Oxamniquine, Piperazine or Trichlorfon. In most countries, these are prescription drugs so it might be quite difficult to aquire. It might be easier to get rid of the 'hosts'......

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sounds like anchor worms to me and yes, salt can be use to use them. Remember to remove the infected fish and treat separately

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Anchor worms? i dont know about miss muddy.. but when i got these.. it was the first thing i checked...and it wasn't even conclusive.. but i may be wrong..

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Aggh, well I performed a micro surgery and removed some worms, I didnt get them all. I added some salt but not much, and after I added the salt the bubble went away, but he still has an open wound.

He seems to be really slow and sluggish now, and doesnt eat much. I am going to quarantine him right now.

Its my first tank and first experience with parasites so thanks for all the helpful information.