Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

New low tech tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    bros, i juz bought JBJ sand. currently, i have one nana, one java fern and a unknown plant, which is a lighter in color than nana.

2ft tank with OHF. here are the qns
    1) do i need to wash thru the JBJ sand i juz bought?
    2) all my plants are on DW, do i need to remove them and buried its root into the sand? how to plant them?
    3) do i need to do a 100% WC for my tank?
    4) wat plants are suitable to plant on the surface of the plant?
    5) sucker fish better or shrimps?
    6) is there any way to reduce the impact of the waterflow of my filter into my tank?

i am rearing some angel fish, tetra.

hope i get some advice
    I am getting in love with this hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sucker fish - (those normal ones) in aquariums eat plants and poop a lot. Recommend that you get shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nana is a rhizome and it already looks pretty on a DW.. advice is to just bury some of the DW.. if you want to be adventurous.. then bury some of the rhizome but not completely.

As for the Java Fern sometime.. do not bury the rhizomes completely..

Have fun!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    here's something i'd like to share with you...
    I have with me 2 nana plants on different DWs.. one of them... is a slightly older one.. and the other one.. is the picture attached.. you will noticed the slight yellow spot in on some of the leaves...

the yellow spots are improving.. and more amazingly.. the rhizome of the older nana was turning yellow.. and only after i started adding Iron liquid fert that the improvements started..

My take is.. because the Nanas are not planted in gravel.. perhaps their intake for minerals have to be supplemented from the water.. and if you water do not have enough nutrients.. the plants will suffer...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1) Usually not. I can't help you because I've never used JBJ sand.
    2) Others have adviced you. I would prefer to tie them to driftwood.
    3) Nope. You might need to do some water changes as you see fit in the first week, afterwards just top up with water weekly.
    4) Shrimps imho.
    5) Use a rainbar placed 1cm under the water level.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

FRONT VIEW

MY PLANTS IN SAND

too late bros... i remove them frm the DW... hmm.. and shrimps.. i afraid they will perish easily.. hw to ensure tat wont happen?

i juz bought a internal filter... here is a photo attached.. gif me advise on my tank pls.. and do i need to put lqd nutrients in?
    Last edited by otakbun; 28th Sep 2006 at 00:26.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    personally.. and its really personal...
    I would have at least 5-6 cm of gravel.. seems like your gravel is not deep enough.. and there isnt a good view of what you did to your Nanas.. but seems that you had the whole rhizome buried.. tat's not recommended.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bk707 View Post
    personally.. and its really personal...
    I would have at least 5-6 cm of gravel.. seems like your gravel is not deep enough.. and there isnt a good view of what you did to your Nanas.. but seems that you had the whole rhizome buried.. tat's not recommended.
    hw shld i plant it? i submerge the whole plant into the sand. or shld i tie back to the DW

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    juz bought 3 crystal red shrimp... put into my tank and all die aft 4hrs... wat happen???!!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Plant such that it looks like this:

Crystal red shrimp are sensitive to water conditions, your tank is barely a week old and will not be ready for them. Try again after at least 1 month or more.

It seems that you're new to planted tanks. Have you read the stickies on top of this forum? They provide good information.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    Plant such that it looks like this:
    <picture>

Crystal red shrimp are sensitive to water conditions, your tank is barely a week old and will not be ready for them. Try again after at least 1 month or more.

It seems that you're new to planted tanks. Have you read the stickies on top of this forum? They provide good information.
    means i gotta tie it back to the DW again?
    Last edited by |squee|; 28th Sep 2006 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No, you just have to make sure that green part is above the substrate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok.. i will go buried the DW only.. by e way, wat lqd fertiliser is recommended?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I hate to spoil your mood (I think again), the red plants are not aquatic plants. i.e., they will rot and die submerged in the tank...

And plant the nana such that the horizontal stem-and-root-looking rizhome is on top of or slightly covered by, the substrate.

And is that a pack of baby brineshrimp you are floating in the tank? I hope you do not pour the whole bag in the tank. The water inside is concentrated salt water... Just a kaypoh precautionary note...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The red color plant, i bought frm C328... argh... got cheated again?
    hw long do i need to wait to put in the shrimp? 1wk or 1 mth?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What kind of shrimp? For Yamatos I wait till plants start to show signs of growth. For CRS (although I've never kept them) I'd wait at the very least one month or more.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I suggest one month. Wait for your plants and tank conditions to stablize first.
    Do also check out the water paremeter requirements for high CRS survival rate.
    eg low temprature.
    And if you are still rearing angel fish... your CRS will be food for them
    It's simple...but no one said it will be easy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by otakbun View Post

not that you are cheated... Just that you are still green... natural progression of all newbies... take some time and lotsa reading to identify the plants suitable for use...

anyway, resist the temptation to get any fish you now see in the shops... back away from the shops for one month or at least 2 weeks for you tank to cycle. you can get those cheap 1buck per packet feeder fish to cycle your tank by forcing the ammonia and nitrite levels to spike... after seeing no more fish deaths 2 weeks, then you can remove you fishes and introduce your shrimps...

crs, slowly... learn how to walk with cherries...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    not that you are cheated... Just that you are still green... natural progression of all newbies... take some time and lotsa reading to identify the plants suitable for use...

anyway, resist the temptation to get any fish you now see in the shops... back away from the shops for one month or at least 2 weeks for you tank to cycle. you can get those cheap 1buck per packet feeder fish to cycle your tank by forcing the ammonia and nitrite levels to spike... after seeing no more fish deaths 2 weeks, then you can remove you fishes and introduce your shrimps...

crs, slowly... learn how to walk with cherries...
    hi valice, there is one part which i certainly still dont catch it,
    (forcing the ammonia and nitrite levels to spike... after seeing no more fish deaths 2 weeks, then you can remove you fishes and introduce your shrimps...)

okie, how does the process of spike comes about? and isnt it that if, unless you bring in large amount of fishes, then will cause the ammonia spike?

cause until now, i still very incertain about this process.

thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    otakbun bro, it seems that you're rushing into everything. Relax be cool, give your tank, preferably another one month or so to stabilise everything first.
    I would not suggest adding CRS immediately into your tank, maybe you could introduce some cherries first, make sure everything's all fine then you can consider introducing CRS(they are really sensitive creatures).
    What i've learnt from this hobby is that patience is a nice virtue. And you really need alot of it(patience) if you really want to go into planted and shrimps keeping. Never rush into things.
    Oh yes, take note of your sms lingos(not really recommended in AQ)
    All above, just my 2cent views & suggestions
    Quote Originally Posted by otakbun View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast