Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IS THERE any orchids breeder or collector here?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

IS THERE any orchids breeder or collector here?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi fellow members, is there any one of you all out there who collects or breed orchids? hybrid and species or whatever unidentified orchids also can..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my mom collects/keep wild orchids

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I keep orchids as well.. mostly from phal family. I keep only species.

Any reason for asking?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh simon, that time u posted a picture of an orchid your mom brought, but it dont seems like wild orchid, think it below to spp.

oh wasabi, phalno family? u collect the origins from taiwan or those cultivated in thailand?

hmm reason for asking is, probably wanted to know how popular is exotic orchid among singaporean.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It IS a popular plant at SBG if I'm not wrong.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    SBG? erm..do you meant singapore botanical garden?

ya..can say so..but it is more on new species and those name after celebrity, or those special people...

what i am more interested is like..how many ppl really spend the money n do a shade house or cold room just for collecting orchids!
    haha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guan, yes, that isn't wild at all , my mom bought it because the plant attracted her attention. keke. Sorry, don't have the time to read on orchids, my mom does the reading, I do the viewing. Her collection still small, about +20 species in my yard, exception for a few hybrids. I particularly like her slipper orchids

If the space permits, probably you see hobbyist building cold rooms for their orchids

(ps. I heard the term 'species' being used by the guy at the florist for wild orchids, any other reasons to that term?)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I keep mostly phalenopsis species. I buy mine either from Singapore orchid nurseries or from my trips to certain parts of Msia.

Species=pure breeds
    Hybrids=mixed breed.

A lot of wild orchids are species. Hybrids are usually man-made. But of course there are exceptions e.g. cross pollination in the wild.

I do not think there are many people that has cool rooms here. I keep my outside my house with adequate sun, and they bloom rather often.

There are also people that rent small plots of land to create a natural environment to keep orchids in Sungei Tengah. Their selection of orchids are rather awesome as well..

Also, slipper orchids are rather hard to keep. Simon, your mum has fantastic green hands!!!
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my mom gets her supply from a florist at alexandra, I keep telling her to go MY for more

I don't have the time, or else, I'll be photographying orchids instead

thanks for the info on species/hybrid

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The florist in Alexandra is prob the only retail person in Singapore that sells exotic orchids.

Tell your mum to go to Song orchids and Woon Leng orchids in Sungei Tengah. Walking distance from Qian Hu. They have the widest range of orchids in Singapore.
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh alexandra ? the shop opposite alexandra hospital isnt it?

seen their product before, dont agree with you, he is not the only one selling exotic orchids in spore..just he is more hard working to source for it may be?
    because i seen few nuseries in chua chu kang selling some exotic species..another at adam road that old man..sell exotic orchids, but damn expensive..beyond cure that old man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Guan, yes, that isn't wild at all , my mom bought it because the plant attracted her attention. keke. Sorry, don't have the time to read on orchids, my mom does the reading, I do the viewing. Her collection still small, about +20 species in my yard, exception for a few hybrids. I particularly like her slipper orchids

If the space permits, probably you see hobbyist building cold rooms for their orchids

(ps. I heard the term 'species' being used by the guy at the florist for wild orchids, any other reasons to that term?)

WOW! simon, your mother really is collector! 20 over species is quite a number..in fact to find 20 over different speices is quite difficult at time.

i juat had got like 12 species only..and it range from cattelya, phalno, dendrobium,vanda, morkara and some unknown ones.....

i had not tried slipper orchid due to their cost..the cost price direct from my supplier is already 30 dollar..too risky to try...haha

anyway.i really must get to know your mom if possible..haha..must consult her on how to keep slipper orchid...lols

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    she is just a beginner, learning the ways to keep orchids. I got her some books for reference. The uncle at alexandra is nice, and always give a discount, last weekend alone she bought 5 species including 1 slipper orchid for $100, they do have exotic species.. even though I have not been to other places. I want to get them ID, but its way too difficult, unless they come with ID tags, but then who knows whether the ID is correct at the first place ;P

if you visit Gan at LCK, ask him about his orchid collection alot more than what I have

btw, got 1 slipper about to bloom

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by guan View Post
    WOW! simon, your mother really is collector! 20 over species is quite a number..in fact to find 20 over different speices is quite difficult at time.

i juat had got like 12 species only..and it range from cattelya, phalno, dendrobium,vanda, morkara and some unknown ones.....

i had not tried slipper orchid due to their cost..the cost price direct from my supplier is already 30 dollar..too risky to try...haha

anyway.i really must get to know your mom if possible..haha..must consult her on how to keep slipper orchid...lols
    wah lau... wanna know people's mum....
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    she is just a beginner, learning the ways to keep orchids. I got her some books for reference. The uncle at alexandra is nice, and always give a discount, last weekend alone she bought 5 species including 1 slipper orchid for $100, they do have exotic species.. even though I have not been to other places. I want to get them ID, but its way too difficult, unless they come with ID tags, but then who knows whether the ID is correct at the first place ;P

if you visit Gan at LCK, ask him about his orchid collection alot more than what I have

btw, got 1 slipper about to bloom
    yeap..when he first moved there..i had seen it..he had a shade netting..some where behind his toliet area isnt it?

he had got lots of cattelya and vanda...but he say he just buy and put there only...didnt get to know where he get them from..

oh.alexandra guy's price is quite reasonable..

yeap, the tag usually will be intact..if the plant is imported, otherwise if breed locally..the breeder usually are too lazy to tag it, as most are hybrids, mass production, so no point tagging.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo View Post
    wah lau... wanna know people's mum....
    hihi billy...lols..exam over liao right?

haha anyway whats wrong with knowing other people mother ar?

hahahha..i am mixing around to collect more species also...so life wont be so bored...lols

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by guan View Post
    yeap..when he first moved there..i had seen it..he had a shade netting..some where behind his toliet area isnt it?

he had got lots of cattelya and vanda...but he say he just buy and put there only...didnt get to know where he get them from..

oh.alexandra guy's price is quite reasonable..

yeap, the tag usually will be intact..if the plant is imported, otherwise if breed locally..the breeder usually are too lazy to tag it, as most are hybrids, mass production, so no point tagging.

those are not for sale, those on sale usually infront of his shop. He does tell him mom the origin of the orchids, I just lazy to write down

billy, you also know my mom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    those are not for sale, those on sale usually infront of his shop. He does tell him mom the origin of the orchids, I just lazy to write down

billy, you also know my mom

??? u meant gan? or the alexdanra guy?

haha..."He does tell him mom the origin of the orchids", do u meant he does tell your mom....

anyway i must find time go visit gan's farm..haha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    whats wrong with me

those plants behind the shop at alexandra mostly not for sale

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys

Go to Woon Leng or Song orchid for the widest range.

The adam old man most keep cattelyas which i am not interested in.

When i said the Alexandra one is the only retail shop, i think it's true. the rest are nurseries or private houses. They do sell to walk ins but the Alexandra man prob is the only with a shop per se.

Guan, what species of phal do you keep?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast