Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

small RO system cost

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just curious on how much does a small RO system (less than 150GPD capacity) selling in Singapore? Something like 4 or 5 steps system.

I still cannot believe it that around where I live there is no RO system for less than S$ 1000

What I can see that in USA they are selling RO system so cheap as low as US$100.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    pardon me on this, what's a RO?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    RO - reverse osmosis.

maybe you can try to do a mail order yourself.
    but bear in mind you may not get any meaningful support due to your distance.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks celticfish for the explanation!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    150GPD means 150 gallons per day? Which LFS carries wider range of RO in Singapore?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    RO stands for reverse osmosis, which is a process in reverse of how osmosis works (diffusion via a semi-permeable membrane). The result is pure H2O (sometimes with minute impurities in case of cheapo household system). This is the ultimate system to get pure water, especially when you need extra soft water. No chlorine, no chloramine, no hard water, no toxic materials. You just need to add wide spectrum ferts to add in essential minerals.

Mail order from USA would be a PITA. I've done that many times before with very expensive mail fee and painful rate at our local customs. It would be a lot fun and cheaper to take home a system from singapore and ship it or go pack it with me in a plane.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Medicineman, RO units are no cheaper here than the US. In fact, most hobbyists who have them bought them through mail order from the US as well. I also heard that those 4 or 5 stage ones available in eBay are not that reliable too. Perhaps you could visit some water filtration suppliers in Jakarta and try to get parts for DIY? It should cost a lot less and you wont have problems with replacement parts as well.

Another thought: Why not consider just a DI unit with pre filters? That should cost a lot less and there will be no 'waste water' to dispose off. Not to mention the flow rate would be much faster as well.
    Last edited by Splendid Warrior; 5th Oct 2006 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    That is also a good option. DIYing using the cation resin and charcoal part only, which can be fitted into a cheap huge pipe instead of a water tank/pressurized system and run it after a silica sand pre filter, that should give me around 50% less water hardness.

It is just for aquaria anyway and not for the whole house.
    Then tough luck on getting cheaper RO system, perhaps I should stick to the simpler (and much cheaper) DIY DI method without RO membrane.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe DI is the way to go for your hobby usage. RO water turnover rate is not that good as the usable portion is lesser that the waste water. A DI system is better as the water that pass through the resin is mostly usable except for the 1st few liter or so. A TDS meter is needed to measure the levels of 'contaminant' in the water after it exits from the filtration unit for a DI water.

If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, I am very interested in the DI DIY stuff, can share on what are the parts needed and how to do it? Thanks in advance..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw a DI system on sale at a marine aquarium along jalan kayu road. It is called Crystal+pro. The system consists of 3 compartments. First and second compartments are identical, they are fit with mixed resin cartridges. The third compartment is fit with carbon cartridge. Selling at S$180 with a TDS meter included. The output is 800 litres per day. Made in Taiwan. It looks neat. The replacement parts cost $68 for the 3 compartments. I was tempted to buy one but I am not sure whether this price is reasonable or there are better alternative.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,

Aquamarin is selling at that prices...think that the lower prices for DI unit sys...another one is reef depot... Selling 300++ if i am not wrong...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Blim, I doubt that DI system could be use for 800 liter PER DAY. It is to be use for 800 liter only and then you need to change the media. I might be wrong.
    Last edited by BFG; 7th Oct 2006 at 23:02.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It was printed on the box 800 litres per day. I suppose that's the recommended flow rate or the set flow rate. The lady in the shop said the system could treat 3000 litres before replacement of the 3 cartridges but she wasn't too sure. A man in the shop advise me to read the TDS meter measurement to decide when it is time for replacement.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Re: small RO system cost

Sorry for bringing up old post.

Just want to share here that nowadays within southeast asia there should be china made system (utilizing US cartridges for quality assurances) you can get for just around S$200. The capacity is around 20-25 gallon a day and it has DC current booster pump. It consist of 4-5 steps (prefilter, micron filter, carbon bead, RO membrane, carbon block).

Reliability wise, I cannot comment yet. But it is popular enough for home/kitchen sink use.
    Though I can say that the bigger, expensive gun is very long lasting.
    At my work place there is this one semi industrial RO system. 80L capacity canisters each filled with sand, resin, carbon filter then to small micron filter, RO membrane and finished with UV sterilization. It has been running for a more than a decade and requires canister service every 6-8 months (replace resin and carbon).