Images
    Country
    Singapore

Under gravel heating element

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has tried planted tank without chiller a few times, but has never used under gravel heating element before.
    Think of adding under gravel heating element when I do a overhaul( don't know is this the right word to use)
    Wonder what type of effect it will have on the plants? Will it ehance the growth and the condition of the plant? By the way my tank is only a 2 footer.
    Last edited by Rokerites; 8th Oct 2006 at 00:18.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokerites View Post
    Has tried planted tank without filter a few times, but has never used under gravel heating element before.
    Think of adding under gravel heating element when I do a overhaul( don't know is this the right word to use)
    Wonder what type of effect it will have on the plants? Will it ehance the growth and the condition of the plant? By the way my tank is only a 2 footer.
    I believed not many in Singapore tried that. Most plants doesn't grow as well in high temperature. Adding another chiller means alot of $$$....

I did heard of the theory of heating up the base ferts and improving the "circulation" (something like that) but somehow I don't think it will work as it should here.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo View Post
    I believed not many in Singapore tried that. Most plants doesn't grow as well in high temperature. Adding another chiller means alot of $$$....

I did heard of the theory of heating up the base ferts and improving the "circulation" (something like that) but somehow I don't think it will work as it should here.
    In other word, you meant its not advisable to install Under gravel heating element as the temperature in Singapore does not permits unless a chiller is installed or the room is constantly in an air-conditioned enviroment?
    Would a cooling fan and under gravel heating element combo work in this case?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would suggest the minimism approach. Try to have a nice tank with less resources.

In theory the heating cable is supposed to improved circulation in your substrate. But in practice, from past discussions that I've read, it is useless to have them.

Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession View Post
    I would suggest the minimism approach. Try to have a nice tank with less resources.

In theory the heating cable is supposed to improved circulation in your substrate. But in practice, from past discussions that I've read, it is useless to have them.

Christophe
    I agree with AquaObsession.
    I think that the roots of the plants (which will get so many over time) should bring enough circulations. Adding some snails (cant remember which type ) should help too.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    For snail, try using trumpet snail. They are friendly to plant, eat alga and circulate soil.

But also depend what kind of gravel pattern you are using.

Bad example, like what I m facing. I just use normal holland sand and stick fert to the soil. And when this snail go digging around, they circulate the soil and lead some of the fert to the water. And this make alga grow.

If you using ADA, then good.
    Regards,
    Flashout
    http://www.flashout.net

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From the reply, it seems that undergravel heating element is not a very popular or worthwhile addition, if not totally unesscessary. As more experience and veteren aquarist can keep beautiful and healthy planted tank without the need for one. Perhaps I should put-off the idea of laying under gravel heating element after all.