Country
    Singapore

aquarium maintenance

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

Just want to check what things you add in the water during the maintenance? I'm doing a 10% WC every week. Now, I want to make sure to keep those bad bacteria, parasites away. I saw some threads to cure ich using salts. What if I add a small dose of salt during WC? Can it guarantee ich will not invade my fishes? What about for fin rot, pop eye, etc? Is some sort vitamins that I can put in the tank to keep my fish healthy?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No, don't add salt during waterchange. They are mostly freshwater fish remember? To keep diseases and parasties out of your tank, always quarantine new fishes and plants before introducing them to the main tank. You can use medication, salt and otehr treatments in the quarantine tank. Some medications harm plants, so read up first.

There are many processed/manufactured fish foods out there that contain vitamins and such. You can also try some products like Dennerle's V-Max. Shop around the better stocked LFS for products. New products are constantly being added.

Generally, keeping your fishes in good health with regular water change, good waste maintenance and feeding routines (i.e. not over-fedding, clear uneaten food, etc) will help them keep their immunity levels up and make them less susceptible to illnesses.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You dont use salt in aquascaping.. your plants will only turn into salted vegetable!!

to prevent out burst of parasite, simply check the water you adding into the tank.. so long it does not introduce sudden temperature swing or ph swing, then it shld be alright.. if not, you have to treat the water before adding into the tank..

if any fishes are sick, remove them and treat them in a hospital tank and not treat every fishes when only 1 fish is sick.. some medication will cause the whole ecology system to fail over night!!