I purposely post this to boost morale of newbies and those who has not yet taste sweetness of building a setuo that is nice to look at and easy to maintain out of the bitterness of failures.
continued...
Here I show you how in bad condition my tank was... everything is ruined and dying
And so after knowing more and more, I started to use liquid fert. My first fert was a trace element mix, one of Taiwan brand which I may say it worked fairly well enough.
But still there is something wrong because my tank was crappy looking compared to people's tank I saw by the forums.
Tough luck I've gotten no idea and so are the people I know at the forums. All seems to be on the right track; some EI ferts, CO2, supposedly enough watts over the tank. One thing they did not notice : temperature. I live in the tropics and a tank under lighting is baking. A dedicated mini fan blowing over the tank proved to work well in keeping the temp below 27,5C. Under cooler temp, the tank runs smoother and the plants overall appear better.
With newfound ways and more experience under my belt, repairs were made constantly and actually the tank looks much better, though IMO still far away from good. At this point I use more wood and picked easier plants.
But still many plants, esp stem plants ever easy ones like all kind of hygro and ludwigia will always die off after some time inside the tank. This puzzles me and make me wonder for months. Overall growth of the tank is not great either, unlike what I saw on tank journals. I do have alongside two huge tanks (1000L each) which are using high light (as what people use in sucessfull setups) but suffers the same fate. So I quickly sort out the problem, these three tanks have something in common : substrate. That is definately the culprit!
So I decided if I cannot get what I want, I should copy exactly what people did. I ended up with silica (pool) sand and again buying some JBL base fert. Upon setting up in the big tanks, I got satisfactionary results within the first two weeks and I concluded it was the substrate. Silica sand though inert can work quite well, unlike the old black substrate I use.
Why did I use black substrate at the first place?
It is coarse sand, accouring naturally as volcanic debris from rivers around area of Malang. They (the seller) claimed that for aquascaping this is a good substrate to use. Of course as a newbie I took their words for sure. There wasnt much option anyway, no fancy subsrate like what they use in forums; fluorite and EC (ADA was not yet popular/introduced at the time).
I've been had, again by fish merchant!! (damn them oblivion....why always merchants that leads me to hell on eath) .. sorry no offence for those of you more responsible LFS in Singapore or somewhere else
![]()
Morale of the story so far :
-learn your lessons well from other people
-read a lot and join forums
-post your tank if you need to, just a pic can tell a thousand words
-use the right stuff from the first time. ask if you're not sure
-never listen to mechants.... they just want to sell their merchandise whatsoever, instead listen to what fellow users have to say about products
-dont give up upon failures. I endure those failures in form of multiple setups, a lot of wasted time, lots of money, three tanks that are always failed, months upon months of horror and mistakes, all the energy spent tearing up and re-planting with fresh stock, etc.









). I did not use any CO2 because I thought it is supposedly OK for lower light setups and pressurised system was darn expensive (again because I rely on darn merchant/LFS that made too much money out of customers by overcharging or selling only some expensive specific brand).
) and started using DIY CO2 and adding another strip of 20W (but still I screwed up by picking the wrong bulb from darn merchant 


Reply With Quote










....instead of in small cuttings of 2-3 nodes. That's why I said learning is priceless.



... from wrong substrate to trial fert, from failed DIY equipment to (almost) electrocution. 





Bookmarks