Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Luohan craze back?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Saw lots of luohans (LH) in QianHu...but dont know what kind. Are they trying to revive the dead? Or are these new breed?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 25th Oct 2006 at 16:44.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The freaks are back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually LH are quite fun to watch.
    I think it will slowly come back, but not in those crazy manner.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there are plenty of real natual cichlids that are just as interesting to watch, and have bigger kok heads (if you like). why on earth do we have to have that damn hybrid back?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I wonder how they taste...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd View Post
    I wonder how they taste...
    i wouldnt want to know!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some people even today still look at any cichlid (whether tilapia, frontosa or red devil) and exclaim "luohan!" Guess they never learn.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    there are plenty of real natual cichlids that are just as interesting to watch, and have bigger kok heads (if you like). why on earth do we have to have that damn hybrid back?
    Because we can see 4d numbers on their bodies....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    natural cichlids also got 4D one
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my theory goes that if you stare hard enough long enough at anything you will start seeing 4d numbers

dont have to be luohan or fish

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I see 4D numbers when i'm in my programming class.. Don't even have to stare long and hard...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I certainly hope it dies out real soon. I hate it to the core, I still have one which was bestowed upon me as a 'Gift'. More like dumping actually I can't dump it and can't bare to kill it, nobody wants it, so its occupying a perfectly good 3FT by itself . What's the life span? Had it for 3-4years.

The only good thing was that it brought the roof down the aquarium hardware market.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    The only good thing was that it brought the roof down the aquarium hardware market.
    Not sure if this is a good thing. It changed the mindset of hobbists, now everyone expects low prices. A number of good LFS went out of business because of this.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Speaking from a business point of view, I think the lfs want to stir up some interest because the ornamental fish market is getting very quiet lately. Unlike luxury products such as cars, they need volumes to keep this business in the black, just count the number of lfs left and you will know what I mean.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One good thing about the luohan fish craze is that I got my home 2.5 footer with light and eheim canister filter totally free...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had shifted the euthanizing of the fish portion out...

It is a pity, indeed... There are LOTS of very nice pure breed cichlids around... Even the simple coloured convict is fun to watch... I wonder why people would go for louhans...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    because convicts don't show 4D

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Because freaks and abnormality are what entrails the simple human mind, convention is too boring or profound to appreciated by the likes.

Hybridisation of arrowanas, betta splendens (guilty here), parrot fish, discus and dyed corys and glassfish are so popular with people who have no idea of fish keeping, but that they for once can play God and decide what the next frankenstein will be.

I guess it is our primal need to glorify all things unorthodox and to feel omnipotent. I cannot imagine when they start hybridising plecos so that the total number for their reference willl be L88 or L888.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm.. it might be interesting to combine the concept of arowanas and luohan... All we need to do is give Choy a snakehead/Toman and say "This large voracious fish with 4D numbers on the sides made me rich and successful!!"

But still i worry about the good LFS's remaining... if this stupid thing hits again it might take them down with it. Even to this day i miss gratiola... It was the only place you could go to find NATIVE fish and reeeeally nice tanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    arowana, discus, and fancy Betta splendens are NOT hybrids. They completely acceptable to me although it doesn't tickle my fancy. all these fishes you mentioned are selectively bred offsprings of parents from the same species.

What is horrific about LH and parrofish is that they are forced hybrids of two different species, in fact the parents are from two different genus, one a central american cichlid and the other an african cichlid.

let's put it more starkly, LH and parrotfish is equivalent to what you get if you go screw a chimpanzee and the baby actually survives and reproduce. horrific enough for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast