Country
    Singapore

Figuring out the amount of CO2 in a cylinder

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi! All,

I use a double gauge CO2 regulator. This regulator has two gauges. The first one indicates the pressure inside the cylinder with a scale of 0, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 kg/cm2. In this the area from 150 to 250 is marked in red indicating danger zone. The second gauge indicates the pressure at which the gas is getting into the bubble counter and has a scale of 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 & 16 and again the units are kg/cm2.

Now my question is what reading should the first gauge show when the cylinder is completely full with CO2 (my cylinder capacity is 2.5 kgs) and how do we know how much gas is there in the cylinder at any given point of time?

Regards,
    Regards,
    Saugata Banerjee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    Hi this is my personal experience.

The 2 gauges are the cylinder and output pressure respectively.

The cylinder pressure should be somwhere around 900 PSI (im not sure in kg/cm) and the output depends on your regulator setting (i put mine at around 50 PSI)

You cant really find out how much co2 is left in the tank.... the pressure gauge for the in cylinder will drop if the co2 inside the tank is almost out... its a good practice to refill the cylinder before it reaches zero.OR when the pressure gauge starts to go down...

I read before that a way to determine the amount is by weighing the cylinder full compared to the weight of the cylinder when empty, then you can have a rough idea of the cylinder's contents.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    you'll need to weigh the cylinder to know how much liquid co2 is in there.
    when there is still liquid co2, the pressure will be ~1000psi - depending on ambient temperature.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Yes, weighing in net weight when the tank is empty and weigh in again after it is filled will give you the exact idea on how much CO2 is stored in certain tank. In fact this is how some of the CO2 refill center counts the price per Kg of CO2 (some refill center would count it by tank size per fill - which is generally cheaper). They usually weigh in the tank when filling to determine level of tank capacity and keep it in the safe zone, avoiding high risk of leaks due to excess pressure. My 8kg net displacement (weigh in at more than 12kg upon full capacity) aluminium tanks would usually pressure in at around 1300-1500 PSI after a full refill. Usually the pressure gauge can show you an idea on how much content is left, mine would go down to very low nearing 0 PSI when it is time to refill/swap with another filled tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
    Usually the pressure gauge can show you an idea on how much content is left, mine would go down to very low nearing 0 PSI when it is time to refill/swap with another filled tank.
    the cylinder pressure gauge will not tell you how much liquid co2 remains. however, it does give you an idea when to refill your cylinder.
    as long as there is liquid co2 in the cylinder, the pressure gauge will show ~1000psi, depending on ambient temperature.
    thomas liew