Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use what to scrape those spot algae???

Feedback Score

Use what to scrape those spot algae???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

What do you all use to get rid those stubborn spot algae on glass? I tried to use sponge before but must use great strength inorder to remove them. Thinking of using phone card[] [] [] but don't know whether it will cause scratches or not. Any remedy??

1 more thing, how do you guys clean those ugly algae that got trap in between the gravel and the glass?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used phonecard and so far no scratches. I also use razor blade for those hard to remove algae. But make sure you don't cut yourself and your razor blade is not rusty.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I use MRT cards, much flexible than a phonecard. You can also use filter floss, not that effective but confirm safe to the fish.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/3/2002 3:30:05 PM

Hi guys,

What do you all use to get rid those stubborn spot algae on glass? I tried to use sponge before but must use great strength inorder to remove them. Thinking of using phone card[] [] [] but don't know whether it will cause sketches or not. Any remedy??

1 more thing, how do you guys clean those ugly algae that got trap in between the gravel and the glass?
    ----------------
    Phone card is a good way to remove the spaot algae and even on the edges of the gravel. I used to have a magnetic scrubber. It worked pretty well till one day it got lost. Then I got the Tetratec glass scrapper which really well (better than the mag scrub). If your tank is made of glass, then you should not worry too much abt scratches....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    a small fellowella aka twig catfish may help as well....if you do just remember that one will be sufficient.....size is best between 2 to 3in......maximum size will be at 6in...do not get the royal fellowella.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What algae is the fellowella most effective against?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/3/2002 7:04:05 PM

What algae is the fellowella most effective against?

----------------
    spotted algae

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, does the fartowella eats anything else besides algae? Gan was trying to offer one but I didn't take it, $12 and such an ugly bugger (the fartowella I mean, not Gan [] )

Could be a good thing as I just tried an algae medicine (Aqumedi Algae Stop-90), just two applications over 2 weeks, it is now more than 2 weeks since the application, still no algae (both GSA and BBA). Miraculously no fish died. Plants I'm not so sure as they weren't doing so well anyhow.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi hwchoy

nope....fellowella's main diet is algae and thats about it....pretty much like ottos.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/3/2002 10:46:27 PM

Could be a good thing as I just tried an algae medicine (Aqumedi Algae Stop-90), just two applications over 2 weeks, it is now more than 2 weeks since the application, still no algae (both GSA and BBA). Miraculously no fish died. Plants I'm not so sure as they weren't doing so well anyhow.
    ----------------
    Normally, any chemicals that kills algae kills plants. IMHO, the best algae killer is hard work and patience.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh yeah,

Another good spot algae eater would be the flower snails (not apple snails). It doesn't grow really big and looks quite nice with stripes on it's shell (that's only my opinion). Problem is they don't do very well in our soft water planted tank as the shells might dissolve, but so far mine is still ok **touch wood**. Also they have a nasty habit of leaving white spots all over the place that looks like eggs but I suspect they are not...... but.... but I don't mind cos it did a super job clearing my algae.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Why not the royal farlowella?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy, are you alvin?
    -Paw here-

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    liquid, they grow to an average length of 10 to 12in......and at that size, they may re-design most of your plants to laceplants.

probably large aquaria that is 6ft and above may be able to handle just one......
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/4/2002 12:13:02 AM

hwchoy, are you alvin?
    ----------------
    nope[]

tried the scraping routine for 6 months, too traumatic for my fishes, chance upon this algae killer so I thought "why not!?"
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, hahaha thanks for the info.

Ever I saw the pic of one of them on the aquarium reference book I have, I've been tempted to get it... but so far never see it before yet. Do you know where to see the real thing?

BTW, the normal farlowellas do get very nice in your tank. When their natural split tails grow long, they look very good especially when they wave them about.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi liquid ...gan fish farm has got tons of royal fellowella(around 4in).....in fact it is when they reach mature size that the beauty of the royal fellowella shows.

The finaged are extended and the lyre tail are much longer then the regular ones.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Huh! How come I always go there but never see...

Time to remove the stamps man....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hihi
    using mrt cards and phone cards ime is not a good idea, because the damn cards can and do get stuck to the surface as it's flat
    use expired credit cards
    the side with the protruding letters/numbers should be towards the glass
    thus, even if you slip and press the card against the glass, it won't be stuck there

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/4/2002 12:26:06 AM

hihi
    using mrt cards and phone cards ime is not a good idea, because the damn cards can and do get stuck to the surface as it's flat
    use expired credit cards
    the side with the protruding letters/numbers should be towards the glass
    thus, even if you slip and press the card against the glass, it won't be stuck there
    ----------------
    Stuck? soree.. don't get you......
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast