Images
    Country
    England

RE: What is this? came with live sand

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys, remember that thing i have in my tank? Well i dun think it is any type of tube worm..it seems to love frozen krill...it wraps its tenticles around the krill and draws it in towards where the tenticles start (i presume its mouth?)
    I am starting to think this is actually some kind of anenome. The colour of it is all white, it has a soft tube, about 3", and is buried in the sand. Its tenticles are also white, with sometimes a small amount of deep red/brown on the middle part of each tenticle.
    Any new ideas?
    I really wanna keep this thing alive, it is quite intresting to watch it feed.
    Thanks,
    James
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    james, it sounds like it is a aiptasia spp. aka triffid, glass or rock anemone but me not too sure but the way u discribe it sure sounds like it.. if so, they are basically wolfs in sheeps clothings.. they are nice to look and interesting but will multiply to very unsightly proportion..
    their sting is capable of killing a small fish and bigger fishes like your puffer fish might get a nasty sting out of it..
    if your tank is indeed invaded by such aliens, options will be to scrub the rock under hot running water (but risk having the LR dying off), introduce fishes that eats them like Large angelfishes or butterfly fishes(which i dun recommend) or kill them off with copper-based medication(which i also dun recommend)...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Kelvin, these things are bad? i like them..
    My rock isnt LR, its just ocean rock.
    I dun really want to kill this thing though..yesterday i got a damselfish to help mature the tank (it will be returned to the lfs when i get my lion) and there are no problems there.
    If others do propergate, i will take them out of the tank by hand and flush them..
    Thanks,
    James

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Ok i found a pic of what it is like...mine is the same as this but nicer looking...

tts aiptasia alrite! KILL IT WHILE U STILL CAN!!!!!!!!
    i killed my aiptasias but pouring thick conecntrated kalkwasser slurry on those buggers.
    another point while killing them, try not to leave any tissue of it behind. a small tissue left behind will regenerate itself.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Kill it?!
    Would like to keep it lah..
    It is very intresting to watch..what is the problem with it being in the tank? i dun understand?
    Mez

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry to spoil your joy, james.... but it is classified as pest.. and like i mentioned.. it will harm your fishes.. do consider the options laid out by me.. if u dun remove it.. trust me.. it will be an epidemic and to flush out the problem later.. u might have to redo your system.. not worth the effort
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

And it reproduces like mad, Mez. Aiptasia has one of the strongest stings around, and will kill your fish, coral and all.

On second thoughts, it'd be quite impressive to keep an entire tank dedicated to aiptasia. Dump fish in and see them getting swarmed over by them. Dump corals in and witness coral death and bleaching. Best of all, dump your next door neighbour's children in if they are too noisy. []

Regards,
    Hong Yee
    p.s. Pls don't take my sugestions too seriously! []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hongyee, for a moment.. i thought u were being serious.. hahaha.. []

Kel, of course not lah! [] But I just got myself a N.merilliana, one of the largest pitcher plants around. Planning to grow it out and catch some interesting things - maybe I'll find my next door neighbour's toddler inside even. [] My Raffle's Pitcher Plant has so far held the record of catching 2 geckos in one night, heehee.

Feedback Score
    Hong Yee, Kewl!
    Have u tried Venus Fly Trap? I tried but they never survive beyond 3 months...
    perhaps I should have drop a few drops of my blood as the 'active ingredient'

Ya, FYI, I'm a hardcore carnivorous plant hobbyist, so if you're interested in cultivation, you're welcome to visit my place. Sorry guys, out of topic. Yes, I've been keeping flytraps, and have 7 different varieties to date. The "secret" is giving it a WHOLE LOT of sunlight. []

Regards,
    Hong Yee

LiveRock,

Hey, if you give it your blood, aren't you scared that it might grow 2 huge fangs instead? And maybe tap at your window at night to ask for more blood. Eeeek. Sounds like keeping some pet spirit or something, lol!! []