Thread: Beginner's Corals

Feedback Score

Beginner's Corals

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Reefers

Need advise on keeping corals that are not too demanding in terms of water quality and lights.
    Hopefully, they should be colourful and interesting to watch too

Any recommendations for typical Singaporean tank?

Thanks a bunch!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would reckon mushroom. Very hardy.... Get those that is luminous in green. It will brighten up the tank. This is just my view, others may see differently.

Hie,
    Most soft corals are easy, perhaps with the exception of "carnation corals" - even very experienced keepers have had trouble keeping them alive, I've read.

Yes, mushrooms are easy, so are fingers and leathers.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

agreed....go for mushrooms n polyps
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the beginner corals would be mushrooms, polyps, leather corals.. but to be fair to them, your water quality cannot be too bad lah.. and there is not typical singaporean tank.. unless u thinking that cramping the entire tank with corals is nice, there, u have it.. your own singaporean tank.. a kiasu, everything i also want tank.. hahaha.. dun worry, i used to be like that many yrs ago.. so, i hope u dun repeat my mistake.. learn the corals behaviours and feeding habits.. and try to propagate them..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Mushrooms they will be! I read that they are hardy and comes in many colours and sizes.

I have a big Percula Clown Fish to let go; anyone want to trade for a single small blue mushroom? I want to let go because this Clown Fish is consuming too much food and becomes so excited during feeding times in my small tank.

Also, just want to check with you guys, how much is a Ehiem 2026 and is it enough for a small marine tank to do mechnical and biological filtering.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Eheim 2026 cost ard $240 at Nature Aquarium.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    2026 is fine.. yours is just 2ft.. it is sufficient..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Got a coral when I started out this hobby 4 months ago and still surviving very well. Dont know the exact name. When there is no light, the polyps will shrink and becomes like a stone. Glowing green in color.

It's really very tahan-able as I'm not using a chiller and temp. about 29deg C.

Lim.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    U guys are making me gian.........

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Got a coral when I started out this hobby 4 months ago and still surviving very well. Dont know the exact name. When there is no light, the polyps will shrink and becomes like a stone. Glowing green in color.

wah.. very difficult to identify like that leh..

Feedback Score
    Hi Lim

I think u got a Jewel Coral. It has like beautiful glowing green polys with short tentacles, rite? The shop sales guy at Marine Image (Yishun) told me it was called Jewel Coral because it look like a round toadstool mushroom with flowers?!?

I got one like this b4 and I made a mistake by putting too much load in my tank.... killing everything in the tank subsequently..
    After it 'became a stone', it spilled out toxin together with the other corals...
    killed my cute domino and blue damsel. What a painful experience!

----------------
    On 8/2/2002 9:47:04 AM

Hi Lim

I think u got a Jewel Coral. It has like beautiful glowing green polys with short tentacles, rite? The shop sales guy at Marine Image (Yishun) told me it was called Jewel Coral because it look like a round toadstool mushroom with flowers?!?

I got one like this b4 and I made a mistake by putting too much load in my tank.... killing everything in the tank subsequently..
    After it 'became a stone', it spilled out toxin together with the other corals...
    killed my cute domino and blue damsel. What a painful experience!
    ----------------

Lim, any pics you can find on the net? Anyway, if it were really a jewel coral, the tentacles should not be short - jewels are dangerous in a small tank due to its very strong nematocyts and habit of extending its polyps. In healthy specimens the polyps should even extend up to 10cm or more each.

Anyway, it's not advisable for reefkeepers to get Goniopora (Jewel Corals) - I'm sure Kel for one will agree with this . Apart from being difficult in it's own right by being a stony coral, Goniopora have been reported to have average life spans of less than 6 months in most reef aquarium. If yoi JUST have to keep one though, or if you already have one, make sure it gets plenty of food like by adding "Marine Snow" or even lobster eggs. There are plenty of articles hanging around online regarding (rather questionable) "success stories" on keeping Goniopora.

I hope I didn't sound like I was preaching, haha. []

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    alo all,

Sorry to make all so "gian". Did some research in library today and looks like the one I have is "flower pot". Does it ring a bell ? hmmm ...

Actually, I dun know how to attach pictures here. If all still so "gian" to know, I will upload to my yahoo page.

Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    arh.. now i know.. hahaha.. flower pot coral aka goniopora spp... well.. in my stand.. i wun keep them..

they have poor record of success in aquarium.. strong current and use of random wave makers to create the different waves are pre-requisite equipment... they also require MH.. NO2, NO3, NH3 must all be zero.. coz most health problems are caused by poor water quality.. not a coral recommended for beginners.. only advanced aquarists and those with the ability to keep them should venture...