Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anti ammonia rock

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    just found a box of Azoo Anti Ammonia rocks... are they useful to put in my OHF? some say its good some say its not leh.. how come?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Who are the people who said they're good/not good?

Imho, I think it works just like Zeolite or activated carbon? If so, it's pretty useful in the early stages of a tank, but useless when your filter has matured/planted tank has matured. Besides products like these might leech out the toxins they adsorbed earlier on.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can i use it to cycle my new 3ft tank?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, you can use it to cycle your 3ft tank. But I see no point though, since it adsorbs ammonia and you need the ammonia to start up the nitrogen cycle.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Well, the filter and sand, plants etc will cycle just fine without the NH4 initially, and as the Zeolite decays the absorption, the rise in NH4 will be off set by bacteria. That gives the NO2 and NO3 producers time to established, even if at low levels at first, there are still small local areas of NH4 from plant leaves, individual fish poo etc, stuff caught in the filter etc.

As the zeoliote wears out, the bacteria rev right up, the bacteria also grow on the zeolite effectively as well, taking the NH4 bound and using it for an electron acceptor for oxidation.

I prefer something called a water change, but zeolite works well. Carbon is sometimes used also with zeolite and plants are very good for cycling, none occurs since they use the NH4 as a nutrient.
    Adding mulm from an established filter/aquarium gravel etc also is very effective on any tank.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Plantbrain View Post
    Adding mulm from an established filter/aquarium gravel etc also is very effective on any tank.
    Can we just squeeze the stuff or wash the stuff in an established filter into a new tank as a form of seeding? Or must it be added into the new filter/substrate layer?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    using some water from old tank or any ornamant will help too.. or simply cut a small corner of old filer media to use.. this will migrate some cultivated bacteria over to speed up the process..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anti ammonia rock

Hi can the rock be used as a gravel in the tank? Will it still able to function as usual? Taking out nitrate and other harmful substance?