Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: What algae can't you get rid of?

Voters
442. You may not vote on this poll
  • BBA (Black brush/beard algae)

171 38.69%
  • BGA (Blue-green Algae)

50 11.31%
  • GSA (Green spot algae)

85 19.23%
  • Green Water

21 4.75%
  • Staghorn Algae

35 7.92%
  • Thread/Hair Algae

153 34.62%
  • Brown/Diatoms

33 7.47%
  • Green dust algae

23 5.20%
  • Other algae from hell!!! (Pls specify)

4 0.90%
  • Algae? What's that? (No algae whatsoever in my tank)

9 2.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What algae can't you get rid of?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Poor plant growth due to poor plantkeeping issues as said by Peter and to add long term issues like not servicing filter regularly[2 months].
    When you say not servicing filter regularly, do you mean wash the filter? I didn't know that I have to wash the filter once every 2 months.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Hanako,
    It's not a requirement but I find the worst infected tanks are those with clogged filters, poor circulation and accumulation of organic debris.

I use the term 'service' because washing implies cleaning[using soap, chlorinated water etc ]. IMHO what we're doing is 'unclogging' rather and leaving the beneficial bacteria[BB].
    Reseeding it with [BB] from branded makers would be ideal but that get's expensive if you have a lot of canister filters.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    what is the reason some angel fishes mostly died..? what can be the possible reasons??please help me..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Hi Hanako,
    It's not a requirement but I find the worst infected tanks are those with clogged filters, poor circulation and accumulation of organic debris.

I use the term 'service' because washing implies cleaning[using soap, chlorinated water etc ]. IMHO what we're doing is 'unclogging' rather and leaving the beneficial bacteria[BB].
    Reseeding it with [BB] from branded makers would be ideal but that get's expensive if you have a lot of canister filters.

Got it, thanks! I have not checked my filter for more than 6 months.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Those brush algae are annoying, even with light control there will be some brush algae on slow growing plant.
    Spot algae on gravel and glass...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Used to have BBA real badly, there are almost everywhere in the tank. After coverting it to a low tech tank and a little discipline in weekly water change, it is almost gone. Lately, it will just pop up here and there..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've been battling BBA with chemicals since coming back to office off a week's holiday during the Xmas-NY period and found the tank an algae disaster with GSA, hair algaes, and of course BBA. Every single other algae has been killed and the tank is absolutely clean except for the BBA! grrr....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For me, hair algae is a problem, it seems to infest on all my mosses even with 100 malayan shrimps. I tried using the Hydrogen Peroxide(H2O2) method as advised on plantedtanks.net
    but to some extent only, within two days the hair algae fought back. Sigh~~

But I managed to combat BBA using the blackout,Seachem excel method.
    Jonathan ~Sith code~
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength,
    Through strength, I gain power,
    Through power, I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BBA is a real headache for me, been fighting them since i started my 1.5ft shrimp tank. Tried to control the light intensity and install a CO2 system but it doesn't seem to solve the problem. Finaaly, deploy a few piece of SAE, and they managed to keep the BBA in track.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dwgi32 View Post
    BBA is a real headache for me, been fighting them since i started my 1.5ft shrimp tank. Tried to control the light intensity and install a CO2 system but it doesn't seem to solve the problem. Finaaly, deploy a few piece of SAE, and they managed to keep the BBA in track.
    The SAE won't harm the shrimplet?

Please advise.

Thanks.
    Ct

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So far so good, they seem to live in harmony.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is there no biological warfare method for BBA? Any snails or other?

Excel seems to work and is easy on infected driftwood, but its really hard to kill BBA on edge of leafs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    SAE seems like the only consumer of BBA, and even then its not very effective

Best biological warfare would be to try to outcompete the BBA with fast-growing plants, maybe?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hair algae. Never won any battle against them. normally ended up with me removing the entire plant to get rid of it. I notice that hair algae seems to attack mosses most of the time. Never had any problem with it on other type of plants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have given up hope eradicating the BBA. Can't get rid of them no matter what I do. I have learned to live with them. Also had problems with hair algae. After removing the moss, I managed to control it . Hair algae seem to attack only my moss. Other plants are not affected.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar View Post
    I have given up hope eradicating the BBA. Can't get rid of them no matter what I do. I have learned to live with them. Also had problems with hair algae. After removing the moss, I managed to control it . Hair algae seem to attack only my moss. Other plants are not affected.
    how do you "live with" BBA?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar View Post
    Use syringe to spray Seachem Excel on the BBA and additional dose in the tank. Do this in alternate day . After all BBA die , ensure all your co2 circulation is good with no dead spot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have 2 choices on the BBA. Either live with them (you can't get rid of them entirely) or throw away your affected plants. Since I can't bear to choose the second option, I try to remove as and when I can manually (not easy).
    Reduce hours of lighting did not work. Reduce or stop temporarily the use of plant fertliser did not work Blackout for 3 days did not work. SAE more interested in fish food. BBA seem to affects even those areas with good circulation.
    The only thing I did not try is Seachem Excel. Just worried it may overdose my tank with CO2 and affect my fishes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    As long as you don't have shrimp in the tank. It should be fine. I overdose to 120ml for my 6x2x2 tank each time.

In long run, the only way is to ensure good water circulation.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Excel is only good for BBA?

Can it be used for hair algae?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast