Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: algae bloom

Feedback Score

algae bloom

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all.... im starting a planted tank...i intro co2 and liquid fert..now the leaves of my plants, mi pebbles and the glass of the tank is plagued wif brown algae!!!! looks so ugly...can anyone advise how i shld remove them?? thks...

[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do frequent water changes and remove the algae physically by hand...if lightly planted, try to plant heavily from the start and stop fertilizing until the plants are well rooted...take about 1 to 3 months on average. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what's the frequency of the co2? ie, how many bubbles per second
    when you say this, i'm guessing that there's too much fert and not enough co2 coupled with long lighting periods

Feedback Score
    errmmm my tank is only a 1.5 feet...i use root tabs and liquid fert yah my lighting hours is abt 12 hrs...my co2 is abt 1-2 bubbles per sec...but i dun haf a reactor...guess i include less liquid fert next time and decrease my lifghting hrs.
    will puttin in more shrimps work?
    thks all for the help[]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Throw in about 4 Otos. If the LFS catch no ball, tell them "xiao jing ling".

Reduce your liquid fert, especially if you do not have a lot of stem plants. What plants do you have in the tank? Don't reduce the lighting yet... let your plants have time to use the nutrients in your water for photosynthesis.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Totally agree with Vincent. Reduce fert ASAP.... I would prefer if you could reduce your lighting to maybe 10 hours. That would help too.....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hello,everyone, me have problem posting new topic so have to post through here because i have the same problem....
    ALGAE. i just started my 2ft plant tank 2 weeks ago and now
    algae is growing all over. Firstly green algae at the back and front of my tank then my plant seem to be cover by a white substance and turning darker colour dun know whethre is it a algae. Have tried putting a product name algae stop-90 but then the bubbling of the plants also stop. Think that algae stop-90 kill the bubbling. Anyone have any idea how to get rid of those nasty algae.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wahahaha8, suggest u stop adding any chemicals 2 ur tank. Get a few algae eaters eg ottos n shrimps- malayan n yamatoes.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wahahaha8, first of all I think your tank not yet stabilise. Perhaps at this stage you might as well clean it out thoroughly (do you have base fert?) and start again. Don't use any chemical, use lots of cheap fast growing plants like Hygrophyla and Cabomba, and once the tank stabilise somewhat (a week or so) throw in lots of malayan shrimps, if they don't all die at once, start adding oto and Yamato shrimp (this is because the last 2 cost a lot more than Malayan [] )
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/1/2002 6:04:38 PM

hi all.... im starting a planted tank...i intro co2 and liquid fert..now the leaves of my plants, mi pebbles and the glass of the tank is plagued wif brown algae!!!! looks so ugly...can anyone advise how i shld remove them?? thks...

[]
    ----------------
    Some algae eaters like Otos shd help remove the algae.
    BTW - do you use any base fertiliser? If you do, then don't add any other liquid fertilisers or root tabs for a start.
    Other fast growing plants that can help absorb excess nutrients are Hornwort and Frogbits (foating plant, helps cut down excess lights too.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    yap, i add liao but dun think hte otos doing their job leh, some of my yamato die , all kena boil till red colour. i already stop adding chemical liao....sigh..there goes my tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    when shrimp start dying
    it means your water conditions are quite bad
    what i did was to change water, clean the filter, vacuum the gravel for 2 wks before adding in the shrimp
    they should then help with the algae problems

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    whh8,

First of all, problems like what you have mentioned are pretty standard esp for new tanks. It's not the end of the world. Just need some damage control.

I would suggest you stop fert immediately. How much light and what kind of lighting are you supplying to your plants? Too much lights will also contribute to algae problems. Normal florescent lighting would require around 3W/gallon (guide only) for 10~12 hours.

You may also want to reduce feeding as excess food will rot feeding the algae too.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i stop putting the fert liao, my light is 2 x 36 pl light. My Co2 is DIY one, 2 x 1.5 ltr bottle, i also
    add in PHOSPHATE REMOVER from AZOO. Now the problem is much more better except that i can't see my plant bubbling liao even my ricca also less bubble liao. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/4/2002 11:28:48 AM

Now the problem is much more better except that i can't see my plant bubbling liao even my ricca also less bubble liao. []
    ----------------
    The cease in bubbling is prolly due to the anti-algae agent you put in. Do more water change to clear it....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/4/2002 11:28:48 AM

i stop putting the fert liao, my light is 2 x 36 pl light. My Co2 is DIY one, 2 x 1.5 ltr bottle, i also
    add in PHOSPHATE REMOVER from AZOO. Now the problem is much more better except that i can't see my plant bubbling liao even my ricca also less bubble liao. []
    ----------------
    I guess no need to put in phosphate removers when the bioload in the tank is small. I presume you don't have a lot of fish for a new tank. Let the plants absorb the excess nutrients. If you purposely remove the phosphates, they plant will have one less major nutrient for proper growth. This is a nice article to read: Water Plants 101
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    but i afraid that if i dun add in the phosphate remover, the algae will come back again....