Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Planted Discus Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, i going to start a planted discus. Anyone with recommendation what or what not to have in the tank. Tank Dimension is 3 X 2 X 2.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Amano put the following plants with discus:
    Eleocharis acicularis
    Fontinalis antipyretica
    Aponogeton madagascariensis
    Bolbitis heudelottii
    Microsorium
    Echinodorus tenellus
    Willow moss
    Kurinam aquatica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As a guide, you should consider having plants which can 'withstand' higher temp. What strain of discus? If you are a starter with discus, get the hardier tank-bred strain i.e. pigeon blood and turquoise. I used to have a planted discus at a temp of around 25-26 degree celcius. There are many things to consider and discuss. It depends on your idea of your so-called 'ideal' tank. Attached is a pic of my old setup with 3 adult discus and some cardinal tetras and shrimps. I think 3 ft tank shouldn't hold more than 4 adults and need very good filtration, even so, you need to do WC as frequently as twice per week to keep everything healthy.
    Last edited by Puffer; 10th May 2007 at 01:48.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    hi Puffer,
    You have shrimps in your discus tank? What kinds of shrimps? Won't they end up as food? Anyway, I see that the whole ground is covered by grass. May I know what grass is that? I thought I read somewhere that discus like to pick up food from the ground. If it is covered with soil, how do you feed your discus? Do you get problems of leftover food stuck in your plants making the water bad? I am interested because I am also thinking of a planted discus tank. Thanks.

- Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have cherry and yamatoes including cherry shrimplets. I think the thick lush E tenellus sort of help the shrimps and shrimplets but i'd never witness my shrimps being attacked. It's very practical to leave a portion area bare for discus to prick food on - kind of a dining area for them. I too realised that later and had a small area bare. I feed only dried and frozen food eg. tetra bits and FBW (Frozen bloodworm). I do not advocate feeding FBH (frozen beefheart) cos it will cause water fouling and high nitrate level etc. Even so, because discus are fastitious eaters, you would need to feed 2-3 times per day. So, you have to be careful on the quantity to feed (quality of food also plays a part, get good quality type of dried food too). Nitrate level will be high soon and then the algae will proliferate. So, you have to be disciplined in your regular WC regime. It's a good idea to keep some bottom-feeding fish i.e. corys to eat on the leftovers on the ground/lawn. Like i've said, there're so much to learn n to discuss just on this topic, just endless....I'll be glad to share from what i've gone through.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Leave a foreground area bare for feeding area, IMO Discus sometimes look starved in Planted tank.
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I know discus like higher temp around 28 to 30. So can is till keep nana in there?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cherry shrimplets and Discuss, amazing how the shrimplets can survive?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I suppose if there is enough vegetation, the shrimp can hide from discus.